Logo

Aq130c hard starting

walster

Contributing Member
"My 130c will not run unless I

"My 130c will not run unless I pull the coil wire out of the distributer cap about a quater inch.only then it will fire and run.I put in a new pertronix kit,wires roter and cap,also new flame thrower coil.When the coil wire is seated inside the cap the engine only turns over it will not start,but when you pull the wire out you can see spark and it starts and runs????If you put the wire in while its running it stalls,I could controll wether the engine runs or not by moveing this wire in or out of the cap.Can anyone tell me why this is happening or how to fix this.....Thanks Walt."

"Walt, have you compared the d

"Walt, have you compared the distributor end of your old coil wire with the new one? Maybe there is some physical difference between them that is preventing continuity between the wire and the distributor?"

"Boy, that's a weird one.

"Boy, that's a weird one. Try removing one of the ignition leads (the one for #1 spark plug for example) and see if you can get spark while cranking. If you don't get spark, I would suggest rotor, cap and ignition wire between coil and cap as being suspect. Also, did you have the same problem before or just after you installed the Pertronix kit and the coil? I assume you wired the Pertronix kit and the coil correctly when you installed them."

"Thanks guys I should also say

"Thanks guys I should also say battery is also new, the pertronx kit was installed last fall,I used the boat a couple times before lay up for winter with no problems So I dont think its that, this spring I installed a new distributer cap,roter and wires.I can not say if the wire from the coil to the cap was firmly in the cap or out it may of bin held on by the boot part of the wire,with the wire itself sitting out of the cap.I was checking for spark and when I removed the wire at the cap end she fired up and ran?The boat is two hrs. away I will try fixing it again this weekend just wanted to know what to look for,and what parts I should bring.....Thanks again you guys are number one in my books!
biggrin.gif
......Walt"

Bad cap perhaps? Pull the coi

Bad cap perhaps? Pull the coil wire from the distributor and make sure it is clean. You may try opening up the ring to ensure a firm contact inside the cap.

"Thanks Mike cap is new as is

"Thanks Mike cap is new as is roter, opening the ring will not help as it only runs with a gap in between coil wire and cap when I touch or insert the coil wire, it stalls. I had it to that point,but as it started to stall I lift the coil wire out of the cap and it resumes running.I really dont know what is causeing this thats why I am here to ask the pro,s.........Walt"

"I bought the roter,cap,and wi

"I bought the roter,cap,and wire set from Napa the guy there matched numbers on his computer told me the cap is the same one that is used on cars. I am now wondering if this info is correct? Perhaps I have the wrong cap on? El I will check for spark as you suggest,do you know of some kind of safety switch or module that prevents the engine from starting in gear? A buddy at work told me to check it before buying another cap and roter. Also the one thing that is different is the spark plug end of the new wire set,the old ones fit on the threaded part of the spark plug,the new ones use the little caps that thread on to the end of the spark plugs. Do you think that would make any differance? And most imporantly,thanks again.......Walt"

"Walter, this is the rotor for

"Walter, this is the rotor for your distributor

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5428&returntopage= sierra_marine/sierra00791.htm

and the cap is either this one (if the Volvo part of your original is 870690-5)

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5357&returntopage= sierra_marine/sierra00791.htm

or this one (if the Volvo part of your original is 243797-8)

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5356&returntopage= sierra_marine/sierra00791.htm

See if you can identify your distributor from the options for your engine (check all the 6 pages on the link):

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Electrical_equipment_and_instruments/dm/cart_id.6 57400424--category_id.332328--search_type.category--session_id.119009051--store_ id.366--view_id.332328

Some controls have a neutral safety switch that will prevent the engine from starting if it is into gear, but this does not seem to be your problem.

Regarding the spark plugs wires, you can use either set (the latter is obviously more current)."

"El thanks for the links I do

"El thanks for the links I do not fully understand, but I am learning.I think my disstributer is the first one on page one but I have to do more reserch. I did however find a pic of it with the number on the small plate will this help?
171449.jpg
I am going to try again this weekend to get it to run .thanks again....Walt"

"Walter, if I got this right,

"Walter, if I got this right, the number in your distributor corresponds to this one:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/DISTRIBUTOR_831785/dm/cart_id.657400424--category _id.332328--list_time.1213310675--session_id.211364803--store_id.366--view_id.31 7416

The above link tells you which are the original VP part numbers for the cap (243797) and the rotor (243903)

The cross-reference for Sierra is

Cap: 18-5356

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5356&returntopage= sierra_marine/sierra00791.htm

Rotor: 18-5428

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5428&returntopage= sierra_marine/sierra00791.htm

And the GLM part numbers are: Cap 71470; rotor 71000

You can now take the above numbers to the NAPA guy to verify whether he gave you the right stuff or not. You can also give him the number in your distributor (the one on the picture)."

"Thanks a lot El I will order

"Thanks a lot El I will order the ones from Sierra, useing the link you sent. What is GLM? I will first check with the Napa guy but I won,t know till I get to the boat sure hope she starts. You have a good weekend and thanks again.......Walt"

"Walter, before you order anyt

"Walter, before you order anything I suggest you first check if what you have installed is the correct stuff or not. I have used several Internet based catalogs to find the correct aftermarket parts for you, but I cannot guarantee 100% accuracy (although everything points in the same direction
biggrin.gif
). GLM is another company that makes/provides marine aftermarket parts, same as Sierra does. Based in the number stamped in your distributor, an old GLM catalog states that the right cap for your distributor is GLM part 71470. This part can be cross-referenced to Volvo part 243797-8, which can be cross-referenced to Sierra part 18-5356, or to Mallory part 9-29406.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=MAL9-29406&returntopage= mallory_marine/mallory00347.htm

Following the same method, the GLM catalog states that the rotor for your distributor number is GLM part 71000, which turns to be Volvo part 243903, which cross-references with Sierra part 18-5428 and Mallory part 9-29205.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=MAL9-29205&returntopage= mallory_marine/mallory00347.htm

I am not sure what is available in Winnipeg regarding marine parts, but virtually any marine parts store has or can obtain Sierra and GLM products, and most autoparts stores should be able to obtain Mallory parts. You can always bring your original old parts with you as a sample for further reference. Moreover, you can also check with a local Volvo Penta dealer (that is, if there is one in your area), as neither the cap nor the rotor seem to be terribly expensive (and then you know for sure you have the right part....or not??
blush.gif
).

You may want to print a copy of this post so that you keep the numbers and makes for the rotors and caps, as it may become handy in the future.

Good luck."

"Walt, surely, El P's advi

"Walt, surely, El P's advice should be followed before mine, but I can also assure you that the following Bosch parts will work with your distributor as I have the same exact distributor on my AQ130C and currently have these Bosch parts installed and all is well with them:

Cap: Bosch F2010-24468
Rotor: Bosch F2020-24511

I ordered mine over the internet, but I would think an auto parts would have them or could get them fairly quickly since they are also used in B20 engine automotive applications."

"Well, Bob, I honestly think t

"Well, Bob, I honestly think that in this case your advice is far better than mine. If the distributor is Bosch, I am sure the original rotor and cap were also Bosch (even if made by another manufacturer under Bosch's specs); soooooooooooooooooo......if the price is righ and the quality is right, then why not settling for the real stuff as you did, eh?
thumbs_up.gif
"

"OK El, in this case perhaps m

"OK El, in this case perhaps my advice is best.
happy.gif
I can't recall exactly how I came up with those Bosch part numbers, but in any case they match up with Volvo circa early 1970's auto models with the B20 engine. The price is reasonable, at least when purchased online, but I would think pricing at an auto parts store would be reasonable as well."

Pleae help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pleae help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am trying to find a crank hub for an aq 130 c
that fits in front of crank gear and runs thru the timing cover.

Back