Logo

671bs Losing 200 rpm

R

reel fishin

We have 671 TI's which had

We have 671 TI's which had a major last fall. We are losing 200 rpm on the starboart engine at cruising speed. The motor runs fine. We have just started losing 200 rpms at cruising speed.
Any suggestions?

We have noticed that the engin

We have noticed that the engine does not acellerate as quickly as the other engine.

Checked the engine today and i

Checked the engine today and it did have some lose inspection covers on the cylinders. Could that cause the problem? I will know this coming weekend when we make a run to another marina.

Oh I did clean the air filters

Oh I did clean the air filters. They had gotten pretty dirty. I shall check them more often.

Well it is time for the pro&#3

Well it is time for the pro's to find out the problem. I have not been able to find it. Of course I am not a diesel mechanic so what I do is the commonsense things one might check.

Well the mechanic came and ins

Well the mechanic came and installed the new fuel filters. My son and he took the boat out for a ride. Still had the same problem.
My son said I think this is acting just like the problem we just had. I think you will find that that fuel line does not have fuel in it. The mechanic opened the line and sure enough there was not a drop of fuel in it.
He said in all the 20 years he has worked on 671's he has never seen a engine do this. It was pulling enough fuel from the return line to run the engine. He had told my son previously that it was not possible for a engine to do that. Now he is a believer. We are getting a new fuel pump put on this next week. The old one looked good but it had wallered out the insides which caused our problem. He will changed the fuel pump and check it out to make sure it does not pump with to much pressure or not enough. He is going to install gauges on the fuel filters for us.
We told him. All we want to hear is that the engine is fixed and what the bill is. Tuna is offshore now and Wahoo are showing up. We want to fish.

"reelfishin,

Thanks for kee

"reelfishin,

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Let us know what happens next.

Good luck!
thumbs_up.gif
"

Mechanic has cleaned our injec

Mechanic has cleaned our injectors and installed a new pump. Motor is still not quite up to par. It runs good just not where it should be. I am wondering now about the fuel line having a problem. Since our motor was stealing fuel threw the return I have to wonder about the supply line. We can get pressure but maybe not enough volume. I will be looking at that.

We had 6-71's that did the

We had 6-71's that did the same thing after a major. But one was running hotter then the other. Had to pull the motor back out and one of the off set keyways was put in backwards so the cam timing was off.
Hope your problem is easer.

Back