Logo

Motor stays in forward gear

T

Troy Sager

A friend of mine has a 1973 ev

A friend of mine has a 1973 evinrude 50 hp outboard that he just replace the water pump on. It has electronic push buttons for forwar neutral and reverse. He took out the solenoids for some reason while doing so. Now after the engine is running it is stuck in the forward gear. Can anyone give me a clue as to what he did to cause this? I watched him take it apart again but can't figure any thing out. Thought maybe it had something to do with the rod that slides threw the solenoid. Any help would be appreciated.

I had a 125 about this age and

I had a 125 about this age and the failsafe on the selenoids was in forward so you could get back home. It could be an electrical problem or a leak in the foot flooding the selenoids.

You have to drain the oil to p

You have to drain the oil to properly reinstall the solenoids.You can test the unit before installing on the motor.Hook up the green to positive on the battery and ground to the case.Turn the driveshaft ( gripped lightly with a visegrip ) and it will shift into nuetral after about 1 turn of the driveshaft.Works like a charm this testing thing.

Back