Logo

1991 TS6M 351 PCM WARM STARTING PROBLEM

D

DAVID ZORN

"ENGINE STARTS AND RUNS FINE

"ENGINE STARTS AND RUNS FINE COLD , AFTER IT IS WARMED UP, RAN FOR AWHILE, THEN SHUT DOWN FOR 10 MIN. OR MORE IT WILL NOT START UNTILL IT HAS COOLED DOWN . I RUN THE BLOWERS ALL THE TIME AND ENGINE COVER UP WHEN NOT BEING USED. SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE. HAS BEEN DOING THIS FOR TWO YEARS NOW AND IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT. I HAVE DONE THE ELECTRICAL CHECKS ON THE IGNITION SYSTEM SUPPLIED WITH THE OWNERS MANUAL , ALL CHECKS OUT OK . SEEMS TO BE GETTING GAS. IS THERE A HEAT SENSOR THAT COULD DO THIS OR A PROBLEM IN THE CARB.? CAN ANYONE HELP OR HAVE AN IDEA ? THANKS DAVID"

THE ENGINE IS A PCM 351 FORD 2

THE ENGINE IS A PCM 351 FORD 240 HP WITH THE PCM ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM [ELECTRONIC IGNITION]

"Check your timing on the engi

"Check your timing on the engine and check your choke on your carb. When the engine is warm that choke butterfly should be wide open. Take the flame arrestor (air filer) off, and you will see exactly what I am talking about.

I'd put my money on a faulty choke or bad voltage running to the choke. Either way, that one is easy to check out, so i'd do that first. Make sure the choke is open on the warm engine. If you verify that it's all working well... then go for the timing and verify that."

Re: "Check your timing on the engi

i have the same problem with the same engine. the engine starts and runs great once the engine is shut off and sits it wont run. i have checked the choke and it works fine tested for spark and that is the problem but i still dont know what is causing it thnk it might be bad computer. to clarify it will run as long as i want but the minute i shut it off and let is sit for a couple minutes there is NO spark.

Back