Logo

43l Electric Choke

M

Michael Murray

"Hey guys..
Going on my fifth

"Hey guys..
Going on my fifth seasnon with this motor, and on the second carb (2 bbl). From the beginning, my choke has not worked. I took the cover off and all seems clean, but didn't go any further. Connections at the choke appear to be good.
What should I check to see if it's working? (can't be as I have to nurse the throttle until it comes up to temp). ANY help to get my starts going good would be really appreciated."

"Probably needs to be adjusted

"Probably needs to be adjusted. The whole assembly can be rotated. I have mine set so that at about 50F (ambient temp) the choke is just about closed. When it's energized, it should open up as it heats up and should fully open. Another good inticator of a stuck or misadjusted choke is brown or dark smoke in the exhaust."

Thanks Troy. I do have a lit

Thanks Troy. I do have a little discolor on the exhaust. My book tells be about removing the choke cover but does not explain adjusted. Can you tell me how it is adjusted?

"Loosen the three screws that

"Loosen the three screws that hold to the side of the carb and rotate the housing. If you pull the flame arrestor off, you can see the affect your adjustment has on the butterly.
With the engine off, and cold, adjust so that the butterly is just barely closed. If it's warm out, maybe not quite all the way. Then start the engine and watch. The butterly should open up as the engine warms up."

"Some carbs have choke lockout

"Some carbs have choke lockout linkage. This is why on the pre EFI days for cars, you were instructed to depress the pedal to the floor once. At this point, IF the choke was adjusted correctly, the thermostat spring would close the butterfly and set the throttle on a high idle cam. I still have to do this on my boat.I just pump it once and the choke and hi-idle set. Just a suggestion, but if the butterfly doesnt close with the throttle advanced prior to starting, this isnt your problem. Good luck,
Scott"

Back