Logo

Wiring Tohatsu 140

millbro

"I purchased a 2001 Tohatsu 14

"I purchased a 2001 Tohatsu 140 for my Wellcraft 18ft. CC. I took it to a marina to get it rigged. They got most of it done, they mounted the motor on to a jackplate (because I bought a 25in instead of a 20in), installed steering, shifting, tilt & trim, but ran into problems wiring it at the keyswitch and gauges. They gave up because they didn't know Tohatsu's and left me with an unfinished project. They tell me that the motor "burps" while running but because of the wiring or lack thereof. They tell me the motor is good (it sure looks almost new). Does anyone know where I can get a wiring schematic or a good Tohatsu mechanic who could finish it off for me. The gauges on the boat that they're trying to hook up to are a) a digital LED Tohatsu multimeter (Tach, Oil), b) a keyswitch, c)a speedometer and d)a voltmeter/ gas gauge. I'm thinking that the speedometer and the voltmeter/gas gauge wouldn't have anything to do with the motor, so it's really the multimeter and the keyswitch. I live in Orlando, FL. Would appreciate any help."

"The wires are color coded so

"The wires are color coded so how they could run into a problem is beyond me...Yellow to yellow, green to green, etc. The best service center for Orlando is Boat Tune."

"re: 2001 Tohatsu 140

wires

"re: 2001 Tohatsu 140

wires are hooked up according to wiring schematic, but no rpm, nor anything else on the gauge. Multigauge was reputed to work. Also, motor idles well, but runs badly when given gas. Carbs cleaned, plugs all getting spark. Could it be a sensor or a sensor not hooked up that's limiting revs (like a limp home mode?). thanks"

"I called Boat Tune. They als

"I called Boat Tune. They also didn't want to work on a Tohatsu. They will, but they're not enthusiastic and filling me with confidence. Can I just bring it to you?"

"You can, but you need to be a

"You can, but you need to be aware of the following:

1) You will have to leave the boat for at least a week.

2) Shop labor rate is $100.00 per hour from when we touch your boat to when we figure out what is wrong. Figure anywhere up to three hours for the troubleshooting section alone.

3) If we have 2 hours into it and tell you it's going to cost $3500.00 to repair and you decide it's not worth repairing. Your looking at $200.00 for the labor and two roundtrips to Tampa (6 Hours travel time for you) and you still won't have a working engine.

I think you would be better off with Boat Tune."

Back