Logo

Fuel Gage problems

R

Russ Holden

"Hi,
I own a 1987 Four Win

"Hi,
I own a 1987 Four Winns Liberator 211. I had an issue with the fuel gage not working at all. It was peged on empty. After removing the wires and reconnecting it started working again but when the ignition is turned off, it pegs itself to the full side and when the ignition is turned on again it reads about 1/2 full. I believe this is an accurate reading. My concern is that I can not remember if it is normal to peg on full with the ignition off. My question is should the fuel gage read empty or full when shut off?

Thank you.

Russ"

"Russ, It sounds like your fue

"Russ, It sounds like your fuel gauge wiring is turned around or you need to clean all the contacts. From what little experiance I've had with fuel gauges if you take the wire from the "S" sending unit and ground it the fuel gauge will read full. The hot wire should be connected to the "IGN" post of the key switch, the "S" post to the sending wire (usually the center post of the tank unit) and of course the gauge itself should be grounded.
Cal"

I havea problem with my fuel g

I havea problem with my fuel gauge moving all the time. Even when key is on and motor is not running. Is the sending unit bad?

"My fuel gauge was powered thr

"My fuel gauge was powered thru a dash mounted switch.
When I first got the boat, I ran several hours and still had a "full" tank indication. I thought this was great, an economical rig.
About that time I ran out of gas.
When I got home and was checking the wirng, I noticed a switch labled "Fuel" in small lettering. I pull the knob and the gauge needle went supersonic to the "E" position!
I since re-wire to the acc terminal of the ignition switch."

"Hi Russ,
Did you sort your f

"Hi Russ,
Did you sort your fuel gauge issue? I have the same or similar problem. My gauge fluctuates from 1/2 to full, most of the time it sticks at full. When I turn the key of it stays on the full mark

Clive"

Most of the time its usually t

Most of the time its usually the GUAGE that is bad. I'm having similar problem with my frwd tank. When I figure it out I'll let you all know. I depend more on my flow gauges.

My guage would act up by going

My guage would act up by going from an accurate reading to full pin...replaced the guage and all is good. My sending unit caved last season...when it goes you get no reading at all (sits on empty)

Back