Logo

Best choices for repowering 1983 Bayliner Explorer w Alaska Blkhd

cpt_pete

"My beloved Explorer has be ru

"My beloved Explorer has be running great and has taken me out over the Grays Harbor Bar and back many times safely. I do know that the boat is underpowered a bit, it was made back in the last gas crunch,and is stingy on fuel. I'm starting to plan on the direction i'll re-power her when the time comes, Choices include converting to twin outboards for safety and handling, rebuild the same engine AQ125a, upgrade to a 4.3 or possibly a small v-8, or is a small diesel in her future? I've seen a boat like mine with a 4.3 that the owner was happy with, increased speed, but more fuel also I've heard a v-8 is too much, a little squirley. I saw a guy with a 225 Honda on a transom bracket. Is there a good site to weigh the pros and cons. I don't want to screw up the sea ridding characteristics by adding too much weight aft. Her main use it a sport fisher during the salmon season out of Westport WA, and Family cruiser on Puget Sound. The present engine trolls down perfectly, something a larger engine my not be able to do. Also thoughts on the duo prop outdrives. Pod drives probably too expensive and designed for higher HP engines. Anybody with ideas or experience to share please do thanks, The boat is 4200 lbs dry 22'with bowsprint and swim step extensions. Hardtop."

"I have a 350 Chevy with a 280

"I have a 350 Chevy with a 280 outdrive on my 22' Double Eagle boat. The boat does close to 35 knots at WOT with that power plant.

If you want to repower with a used VP power plant, just make sure you buy the whole thing together (outdrive, transom shield, engine, Y-pipe, bellhousing, etc). If you start buying things separately it will likely cost you an arm and a leg and you may have trouble matching components."

"As a design engineer the firs

"As a design engineer the first question I always ask is: what's your budget? Anything is possible with enough money and time.

I undertook a major repowering project last summer that took plenty of both. Lucky for me I kept the same engine / drive package. Heed El's advice and purchase an engine / drive package complete.

As for my preference I would search for a used SB Chevy package. You can not go wrong with a 350. Forget about outboards, IMO. Far too costly to repair. Plus, there is a lot of work involved with glassing over your transom and adding a bracket.

How tired is your engine? If it's performance doesn't bother you terribly perhaps consider pulling it and rebuilding it. You can always tweak a few things to push out some extra horsepower."

Back