Logo

Need of priming new engine 350

pidde

Hi
New engine and almost star

Hi
New engine and almost started.
Should I prime (drive the engine oil pump)before I start the engine or is it enough to run on the starter and no ignition activated and build up the oilpressure this way? Will this cause and damage to the engine? Engine is brand new and comes from Michigan Motorz!

"Prime the engine. Buy a chea

"Prime the engine. Buy a cheap, long, flat screwdriver. Cut off the handle. Insert it into a cordless drill. Remove the distributor and carefully insert your new high-tech engine priming tool. Spin the gear for a good three minutes or so."

"Hi
Not so kean to put anythi

"Hi
Not so kean to put anything into the engine, risk of breaking the drive for oilpump or other silly things. Also read some where that if not proper sealed at the pump no oil pressure at the lifters!! Correct?"

Set the clutch on the drill to

Set the clutch on the drill to a low setting. You will not break anything. Spinning the oil pump will pressurize the sytem and send oil to the critical locations. Recommended by all engine builders.

sorry to change gears
but doe

sorry to change gears
but does anyone have advise on changing exhaust rubber on bayliner 19ft i/o aq131a 275
thanks

"Peter & Mike. What I did

"Peter & Mike. What I did to prime the engine was to buy an old Chevy dizzy from autowreckers, removed all the internals except for the shaft, then machined away the teeth from the pinion in the lathe. Then, I install it on the engine as a normal distributor and afterwards attach a drill to the shaft so that I can turn the oil pump without the danger of anything falling inside the engine or breaking anything. It works like a dream."

"El that's definately a go

"El that's definately a good way to go! I've never had a problem with my 'high-tech' approach though, I just use a bit of caution. I see far too many people pop the coil wire and use the starter to prelube the engine, thinking they are doing good."

Back