Logo

Antifreeze Leak

thostorey

Regular Contributor
"From fiddling with the raw wa

"From fiddling with the raw water outflow pipe at connector, part 18, I have sprung a leak from around the edge of the connector and this is the glycol/water mixture. To get this properly sealed I must remove the entire cooling system from the engine. When disconnecting the raw water inlet, will I disconnect at part #22? And, when disconnecting at the thermostat housing, part #31, will I disconnect at the engine block or at the heat exchanger? It seems that the block would be where but I'm far from sure.
This diagram is not exactly the same as an AQ151 but is should do.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/HEAT_EXCHANGER_AND_WATER_FILTER_WITH_INSTALLATION _COMPONENTS_AQ131A/dm/cart_id.657400424--category_id.332893--list_time.121185038 6--session_id.106479808--store_id.366--view_id.324024"

"Tom, I suspect the problem is

"Tom, I suspect the problem is o-ring 17 (there are two installed: one in the inlet, one in the outlet). Are you sure you have to remove the heat exchanger from the engine to replace that o-ring (last time I did one of those was about 7 years ago, and I don't remember all the details)? If yes, you can probably remove the screws 32 and leave the thermostat housing attached to the head."

"I was trying to get at the O

"I was trying to get at the O ring you mentioned Eduardo, by prying the connector from the exchanger when the leak started, however, the connector will not clear the timing belt pully
angry.gif
. On the plus side, if I pull the cooling system I will not have to remove the engine mount to get the copper raw water cooling pipe out of the back of the exchanger and oil cooler.

I'm sure glad to hear that you are familiar with what is inside the exchanger behind the connector
biggrin.gif
because I wasn't sure what I'd find and how I could fix the leak."

Back