Logo

Engine overhauled

sayed

Contributing Member
"I have just rebuilt my engine

"I have just rebuilt my engine, new rings and pistons, almost everything is new.

What precautions shall I take and what speed should I go and for how long do I have to maintane the speed?"

"First off, you want to run at

"First off, you want to run at double the rate of oil/gas for the first 10 hours - so 25:1 if you normally run 50:1 - if you have an oil injected engine mix your gas at 50:1 - between the two you will have the right oil blend...

For the first 20 minutes of operation basically let the motor just idle - you can do this at home on muffs or in a garbage can full of water.

After the initial 20 minutes, shut her down, pull the plugs and take a look at them. Aside from being a little oil fouled there should be no other obvious issues - if everything else with motor seems ok (didn't overheat etc) then you can put her in the water.

For the rest of the time during the first 10 hours of operation you should not exceed about the half throttle mark by much (3000-3500 rpms) except for very short periods of time.

After ten hours, go back to your normal oil mix and all should be good to go..."

Back