Logo

Stuck Steering Yamaha 90

cams0820

"I have an 18‘ 2003 Century ce

"I have an 18‘ 2003 Century center console with a Yamaha 90 outboard. After storing the boat for the winter when I went to use it the steering was locked. I could turn the wheel with great effort but the motor would not turn, either direction. I have the SeaStar hydraulic steering system installed (I believe the cylinder part number is HC5345). I did several checks to determine the problem. First I topped off the hydraulic fluid but no help. Next I removed the hoses at the cylinder to bleed the lines. When the hoses were removed the steering wheel spun freely and no bubbles were found. I reinstalled the hoses then disconnected the cylinder from the motor to see if the motor pivots were frozen but they were not, the engine turned easily when disconnected from the hydraulic unit. So my next best guess is that the problem is the hydraulic cylinder itself. Is there any way to test its operation without removing from the boat and if not can you provide instructions on how to remove and replace the cylinder. Also if there are any other suggestions to correct this problem they would be much appreciated. Thanks very much."

Back