Logo

Boat Pulls Hard To One Side

sgnt_pepper

Could anyone please help with

Could anyone please help with a problem I have. I have a volvo inboard with a 280 single prop drive. When I take the boat power to max the boat leg wants to turn the boat to the left. I have a straight drive morse cable and have tried adjusting the fin on the cavitation plate but with the fin adjusted right over i am still getting the problem. I have looked at the weight distribution and the bilge for any sitting fluid but all looks good. Any help would be greatfully received.

"Adjust the trim tab (the

"Adjust the trim tab (the small fin under the exhaust outlet in the oudrive) slightly towards the side the boat pulls. You may have to repeat the procedure several times until the boat stops pulling. For more information, you can download the owner's manual for your engine/drive from the Volvo Penta site, the instructions explain how to do it.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/engines/out_ of_production_engines/out_of_production_engines.htm"

Hi thanks for the reply I have

Hi thanks for the reply I have tried this and have the fin nearly all the way over to one side but still get the problem. Could a damaged prop cause this as that is what someone has told me although after inspection my prop doesn't seem to be damaged or distorted.

"Are you sure you have moved t

"Are you sure you have moved the fin towards the correct side? You may want to move it to the opposite side and see what happens. Also, you have to remember that you can correct the "pull" for certain engine RPM, but below or above those RPM some pull will take place.

A damaged prop would make the boat vibrate like hell, but won't pull towards one side."

I have the fin pointing toward

I have the fin pointing towards the right of the exaust manifold. I have also been suffering with a slight loss of rpm at max trottle lately and wandered if the 2 were tied in together. If I take the boat up onto the plane the pulling to the left only really becomes an issue between 3.500rpm and the 4.500rpm I am getting to at max throttle

Hi El Pescador I have tried mo

Hi El Pescador I have tried moving the fin and have not managed to find a point where the steering is much better. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me before I go to the expense of taking out the boat.

Back