Logo

Hot Mercrusier 454

L

Len Owsenek

"My starboard 1994 7.4L inboar

"My starboard 1994 7.4L inboard runs 20+ degrees hotter than port side OVER 2600 RPM. STBD goes to 185-190, PORT stays at 165. At slower speeds, both track alike at 160-165. This is a problem in hot summer Chesepeake Bay water. Or am I just paranoid about blowing an engine?

Tried two new impellers - one 8 vane , one 10 vane, cleaned tube side of the three heat exchangers (all were clean), checked timing, checked antifreeze/water ratio, pulled thermostat, checked raw water suction hoses (firm), tightened belts, cleaned strainer, put on new pressure cap, confirmed temps. with hand held infrared temperature gage, pulled one exhaust elbow - perfect - one of few years they used stainless steel.

What am I missing?"

"Same thermos in each engine??

"Same thermos in each engine??

My engine runs that hot all the time in summer. I just changed to a new gauge and guess what....it runs cooler. Pretty cool gauge eh??

Try swapping the wires from the senders behind the dash and see if the hot eng swaps to the other side or stays the same. If it the gauge, then you can replace it or ignore it.

Good luck"

"HAHAHAHAH!

Hi Rick. I ha

"HAHAHAHAH!

Hi Rick. I have been spending a fair amount of time at fish the classic. Those guys and I share drive systems. I still check in here, but not as often. This is a result of several things....some good, some bad.

The good is that my boat has been running sweetly lately. I have an annoying starter issue that I am trying to rectify but beyond that the old gal has been treating me well. In fact, I just turned over 1000 hours on the engine. The boat itself now has almost 3300. I learned A LOT on this site and used that wisdom to fix much of what was wrong with my boat when I stumbled across it. You offered me outstanding advice on many occasions and I thank you for it.

I'll try not to be such a stranger!"

Back