Logo

Yamaha 2004 F150 Runs Terrible

suntanjam

"I have a 04 Yamaha F150 4 str

"I have a 04 Yamaha F150 4 stroke with about 140 hrs. Towards the end of last season the motor seemed to be fuel starved as I would quickly hit full throttle, the motor would take off and then quickly bog down. The problem seemed to progressively get worse. I figured the fuel filter was the culprit and would replace it in the spring (now). I also added a fuel separator. Took the boat out yesterday. After launching the boat I hit full throttle and it seemed to run fine as I hit about 35mph but it was short lived as within a minute or so the motor bogged down. I could not go more than 10mph the entire day. It seemed as if I was running on 2 cylinders. The motor at times was coughing and sputtering. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! I see where someone was told to re-sync. I took a look at the throttle body and everything looked to be in the correct position."

ok yes you are running lean. i

ok yes you are running lean. inside the vst (vapor sererator tank) you have a high pressure pump on the bottom of the pump ther is a very fine screen most likely it is dirty. a fuel pressure gauge screwed on to the schrader valve located on top of the vst would give you a very acurate reading. fuel pressure will drop when engine rpm drop. fuel pressure should always stay above 32lbs no matter what rpm

"Jacob,

Thanks for the repl

"Jacob,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunetly its somewhat buried so I have some work to do to get to it. What the heck, its memorial day an I'm on a mission. Thanks again! Have a Great Memorial day and I'll let you know how I make out.

John"

"Jacob,

Filter in fuel pump

"Jacob,

Filter in fuel pump was clean. I'm stumped as I've done all the obvious. Don't know where to go from here except to the dealer, which I really don't want to do."

Back