Logo

Lower Gear Shift Cable

yeoman100

"I have just put my out drive

"I have just put my out drive back on after a service (mercruiser 3.0). I changed the lower shift cable and replaced it as per manual. Forward engages fine but reverse will not, i can hear knocking so it iis almost there but not fully. Do I need to adjust the upper shift cable even though i did not disturb this?"

If you have a service manual y

If you have a service manual you should follow the whole shift cable adjustment procedure. That works the best.

Rod

"You should not have to mess w

"You should not have to mess with the upper cable. This may not be "by the book", but this is the way I have always made the adjustment and it has worked for me and several other boat owners I work with.

With the lower shift cable disconnected at the engine area mounting block, put throttle lever in neutral position. Push the lower throttle cable to its rearmost position. Have a helper rotate the prop a little as you push the cable to ensure it actually does go into gear - fully engaged, the prop should not rotate counterclockwise. I use a marking pen to put a mark on the cable to note its rearmost position. Then I pull the shift cable as far forward as it will go, again with the helper rotating the prop a little to ensure it goes all the way into reverse. I again use marking pen to mark the cable's most forward limit.

At this time the cable adjustment barrel can be pulled from its holder. Halfway between the two marks should be neutral - mark and move cable to this position and verify propellor will rotate freely in both directions without clicking on the gears.
Now attach the black cable holder at its front connection. With cable in the marked neutral location rotate the adjustment barrel until it aligns with the holder slot and slide it into the holder, then secure the barrel.

At this time, move throttle lever back and forth to verify gear engagement as currently adjusted (helper can rotate prop to ensure gears engagement). If all has gone according to normal, you should be in good shape."

Back