Logo

Motor wont turn over

prizmatik

My motor is currently not turn

My motor is currently not turning over when using the key to start. The only thing I can hear is a click near the rear of the boat. The battery is sufficiently charged. Anyone know the cause? Thanks.

"(Slow Or Non Cranking Eng

"(Slow Or Non Cranking Engine)
(J. Reeves)

Assuming the battery is good and fuilly charged. Slow cranking can be the result of a loose cable OR a tight but dirty cable connection OR a failing starter. Do not assume that any connection is okay and bypass it! Remove, clean thoroughly, and retighten all cables and wires related to there starting system. This includes the battery terminals themselves, the ground cable at the powerhead, the starter solenoid connections, and of course the electric starter terminal stud itself.

With the engine cranking in the slow condition, feel the cables (all of them) from one end to the other. A hot cable at any one area indicates that the a loose connection exists close to that hot spot OR a internal portion of the cable is failing due to corrosion etc.

A electric starter that becomes very hot within a few seconds of cranking (15 to 20 seconds) usually indicates that something is amiss with the starter and it should be torn down for inspection. Cranking the starter for an extended length of time can (and usually does) result in having the armature winding connections melt down.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Take a look at the starter so

"Take a look at the starter solenoid on the engine. Usually four connections. Two large wires, two small ones. Test one, with the battery connected, very carefully jump one large terminal (starter lead) to the other large terminal (12 volt source) A brave mechanic uses plier handles, I would recommend battery jumper cables. If it still doesn't turn, and the battery and cables aren't to blame, you have a starter issue. Since your key causes a "click" at the solenoid, if test one makes the starter run correctly, and the solenoid clicks but doesn't run the starter, bad solenoid."

First: Check to make sure the

First: Check to make sure the battery posts are clean and the clamps are in good condition.
Bill

Back