Logo

Water pump question

bhale5

"I was wanting to know if the

"I was wanting to know if the water pump is over tightened will this reduce the amount of water that the impeller picks up. When running the drive on muffs, it just doesn't seem to be drawing in enough water.I've checked all passage ways and they seem to be clear. Thanks."

"If its an Alpha drive, not su

"If its an Alpha drive, not sure how you would over tighten the pump.
As long as the impeller is keyed to the shaft, and its in good condition, you should be pumping water well.
Do you have good flow coming out of your transom plate outlets?
If you are running on muffs, you need the hose supplyng enough water so that excess is escaping out around the muff lips. Damaging your pump while running on muffs because of too much pressure is an old wives tale. Crank up the water flow!
If this all checks out, and she is overheating, or you are getting little flow, likely your manifolds and/or risers are rusted and plugged up.

Rod"

"It's a pre-alpha drive 19

"It's a pre-alpha drive 1971 model.This winter I pulled the manifold and it looked clean and water flowed good through it. The nuts at the top of the pump are torque spec @ 25-30 and 35-40 in. lbs.I didn't realize this until recently and I know they were over tightened.I was just wondering if this really made a big difference with water pick-up. The only thing I have left after this to check is my gauge. Also, I have checked the engine temp with a infrared thermometer when the gauge says its running hot. Where is the best place to take a reading from,the block or where the sensor and thermostat are located. Usually the temp reading is 20-25 degrees lowerthan the gauge at thermostat and a little bit higher at bottom of block,but never matching the gauge.Thanks for your patience.

Bryan"

Bryan:

"the temp readin

Bryan:

"the temp reading is 20-25 degrees lower than the gauge at thermostat"

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You have to remember that you are not taking a direct temp. reading so there will be a difference. I myself have seen temp. readings w/a laser temp. gun lower than the dash gauge.

Take readings from several points at the base and top of the T'stat hsg. and temp. sender at different times; try to determine when the T'stat opens for the best reading. Also take readings at several points on each exhaust manifold including water inlets and couplers.

"The warm point should be the

"The warm point should be the T'stat housing, and it should be close to the stat set temp when all warmed up.
The manifolds and risers will be hotter, but you should still be able to touch them briefly..
If your stat is 140 let's say, your risers should be no more than about 160-170, assuming you have sufficient flow.
If your temp gauge is reading way higher than your stat set temp, your sender or gauge is shot.

Rod"

Back