Logo

Mercruiser 233 Grumble in reverse Shifter or what else

rumrunner2008

"Mercruiser 233 shift or outdr

"Mercruiser 233 shift or outdrive noise. Ratcheting into reverse and "grumbles" when in reverse

Hey Fellas,

I have a mercruiser 233 i/o and it shifts hard (that is it kind of thunks) into forward, and ratchets or grumbles hard, and you have to get the RPMs a little higher before it finally engages into reverse. When in reverse, it seems to grumble, and isnt smoothe. It isnt the engine, but I was hoping you could give me some other ideas of what it could be, and how much the different repairs and/or parts might cost.

I am thinking it is possibly just the shift cable needing adjustment, but if it is something worse, what might it be?

Thanks!"

"Possibly shifter cable out of

"Possibly shifter cable out of adjustment, worn out shift crank, shift shaft bushings, or both. Further damage could be incurred to reverse gear, sliding clutch (dog)and forward gear.
First, I would check the shifter cable for proper movement (not seized up) and proper adjustment.
Secondly, it is easy to split the sterndrive (in upper and lower) and check the shift shaft condition (bushing play), also the adjustment of the shifter cable. If they seem okay, then dismantling the lower unit will be difficult without proper tools and knowledge.

Good luck."

"Ayuh,....

It sounds like t

"Ayuh,....

It sounds like the lower shift cable is about Toast...."

Back