Logo

Green Grease is it any good Whadda bya think

joebklyn

Boat trailer has green grease

Boat trailer has green grease in it's bearings so I found some of this stuff just wondering if you have anything good/bad to say about it.

"Hey there,

My two cent&#39

"Hey there,

My two cent's worth...

Most waterproof greases that are rated for wheel bearings are good. Each person has different useage tho.

Few pointers:

1) Check and adj bearings on an annual basis. Water tends to creep in everwhere...

2) Re-pack the bearing when this inspection is done. If bearing is in good cond, wash with cleaner, rinse and dry before applying fresh grease. Ensure that all exposed steel areas and cap has layer of grease. Do not over-grease the hub, grease will pop out the seal from heat expansion.

3) Always try to ensure that hubs are cold before launching the boat. If the hubs are hot, the cold water will cause the grease to contract and potentially draw water in as the air pocket in hub shrinks.

4) On the grease cap, use a good silicon type of sealer to prevent water from getting in. As most caps are press fitted, a fine hairline gap may be present to allow water in. Remember, the trailer drops into the water by a few feet, water pressure will cause ingress.

Regards!

Benjamin."

The grease I use is green and

The grease I use is green and it is Mobil Polyrex II. Our lube dept says it has the best (whatever that means) for water resistance. So far so good

"Green, blue, red, brown. Colo

"Green, blue, red, brown. Color is just a dye for manufacturers. From what I read on a Google search the Mobil Polyrex is recommended for just about all roller bearing applications. A high quality grease is what you want considering that the trailer gets dunked and then driven at highway speeds. Like There is no shortcut around regular bearing maintenance."

Back