Logo

Drive Alignment

yeoman100

"I have just changed the Gimba

"I have just changed the Gimbal on my 1991 mercruiser 3.0. When placing the alignment tool, should the narrow end fit into the splined coupler or should it just sit in the bevelled recess at the opening of the splined coupler. The tool I have is too big to fit into the coupler.

Thanks Mark"

The tool needs to slide inside

The tool needs to slide inside the coupling. What likely has happened is due to wear. The coupling is made of aluminum and tends to wear the splines to a point and diminishes the inside diameter. If you wiggle the line up tool around and push harder it will probably go in. Take a look through the gimbal bearing with a flash light as see if the splines are pointed. Also check and see if the line-up tool is 1" or so on the end that goes into the spine.

Eric

"marc;

How old is your alig

"marc;

How old is your alignment tool?
Ones that are too old (not sure what year) won't fit newer drives. They have to be machined down at the 2nd shoulder from the small end. Then they will fit all older and new drives.

I don't have the machining details in front of me at present, so I can't give you the exact details.

Rod"

The first step is the splines

The first step is the splines and the other step is the I.D. of the gimbal bearing.

Eric

"The bearing came as a quick s

"The bearing came as a quick silver gimbal and bellows pack from my local dealer, so I assume that to be coorect. I will try to meassure the tool and splines to se if there is a major difference"

I have managed to get the shaf

I have managed to get the shaft into the coupler. (stopped being a girl) When i insoect the grease on the end of the shaft it tells me that a small adjustment up is needed. It alsoshows that a little side to side adjustment is needed to get it absolutelty central. Am iable to adjust side to side?

"Without moving the front moun

"Without moving the front mounts, side to side adjustment is not possible.
The usual requirement is to raise the front mounts, just as you have noted.

Rod"

Back