Logo

8hp Yamaha 2 stroke problems

nmcap

"Hard to believe isn't it?

"Hard to believe isn't it? .. A problem has developed with my old reliable yammie 2-stroke.
This motor is a 2003, 8hp and has always had a very strong water exhaust (pee hole) stream.

During the course of last years season, the stream gradually reduced and the water would get
really hot - the smaller the stream, the hotter the water. Cleaned out the pee hole tube and
would get a better stream and cooler water output but it would only last a little while before
clogging up again. As the season went on, the time between clogs shortened.

no brainer - right?! ... replaced the water pump but the same thing still happens. Runs for about
20-30 minutes before getting totally clogged and I have to dig out the tube again. Never getting a good
strong stream.

Brought it to two - get that TWO outboard dealers and both said there is nothing wrong.... but I know there
is - the performance seems off, the pee hole constantly gets clogged and the sound is lower than normal.

Wasted a few bucks on bringing it to the dealers, could have made a nice down payment on a new one... but
why should I have to buy a new one? .. This is a YAMAHA!! I loved these and am just so dissappointed the dealers
couldn't find anything wrong.

If anyone has any other ideas what this problem could be, other than the water pump, I am at a loss."

"Have you tried opening the en

"Have you tried opening the engine and cleaning the channels that the cooling water flows through in the cast aluminum.
You may have a large amount of salt build up inside the engine, this would reduce the amount of water passing through your engine making it get hot.
Occasionally a salt crystal gets dislodged and blocks the pee hole.
Once you cleaned the cooling system run it in fresh water for a while to dissolve any remaining salt.

DONT run the engine more than absolutely necessary until the problem is resolved, it's not worth risking engine seizure."

"I have a 1996 20HP Yam that I

"I have a 1996 20HP Yam that I bought last year. It looks fine has been well serviced etc and I have just fitted it to my boat. The guy that sold it said it don't need choke to start. I have just taken off the tiller arm and fitted remotes. I have tried to start it cold on 3 separate days this week. The air temp is not cold.
I have new gas and it still takes 7 or 8 pulls when cold. When started runs like a dream and starts every time.
I have tried full choke, no choke, choke with half throttle, no throttle and any combination. I pump the bulb hard and squeeze it a few times.
I guess as I don't get it right the first time I mess up the next few pulls.
Please can someone tell me the best way of starting the beauty. When I removed the tiller arm I didn't make any adjustments to the throttle, choke engine settings, should I have touched these? I couldn't see the need to make any adjustments and the removal was easy. I'm sure its me and my wrong approach with choke throttle etc. Oh the only other thing I was wondering do you let the engine drain the carb at shut down or just switch off. Thanks for any help."

"I don't think it is you -

"I don't think it is you -
My 2003 yammi did start on the first pull for the
first year I had it with no choke. The next year,
it took a couple more pulls and each year, more pulls and choke was added. I have it professionally serviced each year. Never runs like it did new.
Now, starting procedure, choke on, pull the cord out until you feel it start to catch THEN quick pull, might take a couple, as soon as engine starts to run immediately put choke back in.
if engine was running already that day, no choke.

I do let it run dry after I am done with it and am ready to put it away.

They are tough to start."

Back