Logo

Gimbal housing

vintage

Contributing Member
"Hi folks. I can't seem t

"Hi folks. I can't seem to find my original message so here is a new one. I pulled the out drive off my 1973 165 Mercruiser. The Gimbal bearing is in deed shot. I also noticed there is a tear in the U-joint bellows. So I need to remove the gimbal ring or housing or what ever the thing is that tilts up and down and goes right and left is called. The manual is not real clear on the removal of the pins. Mine has hinge pins that have a stainless pin driven in from the back that go through the hinge pin to secure it. It looks like there are threads inside the actual hinge pin. How do these come out? Also. how does the shift cable disconnect in the housing? After getting the gimbal thing off, replacing the bellows just looks like tight knuckle banging. But any help would be appreciated.

Eric"

"on the back where the pins st

"on the back where the pins stick out,bend them straight and pull them put from the front.The threaded hole is for a slide hammer puller.the pins are not threaded in the housing.
shift cable should just unscrew from the housing.You ARE replacing it,right?
It`s not that hard, 1/4 universal, short 5/16 socket,and hope the last person put the clamps in the proper place."

The pins are flush on the back

The pins are flush on the back and I can feel the other side of the hole on the front side. They almost seem like they should drive out from the front to the back. I wasn't planning on replacing the shift cable. I was thinking of replacing the cable bellows and definitely the U-joint bellows and now probably the exhaust bellow since I think I need to take it off to get to the U-joint bellows.

Eric

The pins are flush on the back

The pins are flush on the back and I can feel the other side of the hole on the front side. They almost seem like they should drive out from the front to the back. I wasn't planning on replacing the shift cable. I was thinking of replacing the cable bellows and definitely the U-joint bellows and now probably the exhaust bellow since I think I need to take it off to get to the U-joint bellows.

Eric

Just had a look at the hinge p

Just had a look at the hinge pins and I can now see that the pin that is driven into the hinge pin is like a stainless steel nail that is bent over. Helps when it's light out and I have my glasses on. Do these hinge pins usually come out pretty easy with a slide hammer?

Eric

probably not. that puppy has s

probably not. that puppy has some years on her. especially if it's been in the salt. try and see.

"the hinge pins have a 1/4x28

"the hinge pins have a 1/4x28 machine thread. Rather than try to convert the slide hammer, we bought the bolt. We doused the pins with PB penetrating spray then removed, straightened and saved the stainless nails. I then used a vice-grips to wrap over the 1/4x28 bolt and bite onto the screw on your slide hammer. It was offset slightly, but worked. Good Luck"

I went ahead and fabbed a slid

I went ahead and fabbed a slide hammer using 1/4" stock and threaded the end with 1/4" city threads (1/4"X28). Hopefully the pin will come out before the threads come off. If that happens I'll weld a stainless 1/4"X city threads bolt on to the 1/4" mild steel stock the slide hammer is made on and maybe use a little heat. Hope not to use heat though as that will mess up the finish.

Eric<><

My home-made slide hammer popp

My home-made slide hammer popped the hinge pins out with little effort. I'll do the bellows and all that stuff on Sat. & Sun.

Eric<><

"I managed to change the u-joi

"I managed to change the u-joint and exhaust bellows. I just don't savy-the-burro about getting the shift cable housing or casing loose from the bell housing, so I did not change the shift cable bellows. That is really a tight knuckle scuffing job. I changed the gimbal bearing while the bell housing was loose. That snap ring really separates the men from the boys. Just for kicks I pushed a piece of 1" o.d. steel tubing into the drive coupling and it is pretty obvious that when I put the engine in last time that it was pretty badly out of alignment. Next I will pull the engine and change the drive coupling . Can't wait to get it back together, file the points and fire her up...............

Eric<><"

"[b]" I just don't sav

"" I just don't savy-the-burro about getting the shift cable housing or casing loose from the bell housing, so I did not change the shift cable bellows. That is really a tight knuckle scuffing job."

Ayuh,.....

You Should change out the Complete lower shift Cable,+ Bellows.....

Otherwise,....
It Will come back,+ Bite you in the A$$....."

Back