Logo

Rebuilding 1986 8hp evinrude

cali009

i have tried many times to get

i have tried many times to get help on here so last try.

I have been given a 8hp evinrude. my friend who is a auto mac. said itis a four stroke. is this correct?

i could not get the pull cord to pull out all the way. i took off the caps for the pistons and there was somthing in there. i took it out and tried again and in a few turns with a wrench on the top. it finaly moved. but not even a sound when i try to get it it start now.

can anyone give me some key things to look at for problem areas on this motor. i am going to take it completly aparty and clean everyhting with a wire brush.

"Chris,
That motor you speak

"Chris,
That motor you speak of is a 2 stroke.
Caps for pistons?? not sure what you are referring to here, but it sounds like your motor may have been siezed or partially siezed.. In either case, motor will need to be disassembled, cleaned, checked and reassembled. In this case a service manual is your friend..."

"Thank you.

caps= yah i mea

"Thank you.

caps= yah i mean the caseing for the pistons.

one othere things, now that i can pull the cord. should the gas be sucked into the motor( where the pistons are) for when i open up the case for the pistons i see no gas or smell no gas. could this be a block ithe fuel line, or a problem with the fuel pump."

"Chris, When you say casing no

"Chris, When you say casing now i think you may be refering to the exhaust plates.. This casing you speak of, is it on the side of the engine or the rear, where the spark plugs go in?
If a motor has siezed, it is best to pull it down, clean, check and reassemble.. You can take a chance and attempt to start it. You can try pouring a small amount of gas in the spark plug holes and attempt to start it."

"it is at the rea, where the s

"it is at the rea, where the spark plugs go in.i tried some quick start spray i had in the basement. but no luck. but i do think cleaning everything with a wire brush that is needed.
but if no gas is getting to the spark plugs. there must be a block in the line to that area."

Chis it sounds like you should

Chis it sounds like you should get a manual for this engine and read up on it before you start to take it apart it would make matters a lot easer

Back