Logo

Need Help with Motor Turning Off

K

Kim Loeffler

"I have a 2000 Ebbtide 195 Cam

"I have a 2000 Ebbtide 195 Campione with a Mercruiser I/O engine. Just launched the boat onto the lake after 4 months of winter storage. Boat starts and runs fine initially, but after a few laps around the lake at 25mph, when I slow down to idle-speed, the engine turns off. The idle just seems to slow down and lose power after a few seconds when it's in neutral. Any idea what this could be caused from?"

"What engine and carb? When i

"What engine and carb? When it dies, does it start back up right away and idle? Does the engine reach operating temp.? Is the choke opening 100%. Was the fuel stabilized last fall? How about fuel filters; were all replaced recently?"

"The engine is a 4.3L - and I

"The engine is a 4.3L - and I dont know about the "carb". It does start right back up again - and all the gauges read fine. I don't know what the "choke" is (sorry!). Is there someplace I can check to see if it's opening 100%? A fuel stabilizer was added last winter, but only after the boat was taken off the lake (by mistake). The stabilizer did not have time to run through the engine. I haven't had the fuel filter replaced recently either. Also, the first time I took the boat out (with the gas still in it from last winter) I didn't have this problem. The second time I took the boat out, I filled up the gas tank - and thats when the problem started."

"Does the top of the engine lo

"Does the top of the engine look like this pic.?

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/showSpecialPicture.asp?pn=807764A1

The choke (lower right side) controls how fast the throttle plate (the flat area in the middle) opens up as the engine warms. It needs to be open all the way when at oper. temp. or the air/fuel mixture is more fuel and kills the engine. Try the fuel filters and a can of SEA FOAM in the fuel tank. It will clean out any varnish buildup in the carb from last winter.

If the engine says EFI on it then that is another story."

"Thanks Guy! Before I read you

"Thanks Guy! Before I read your previous response, I tried to start the boat up again.... and now it's turning over, staying on ONLY when the throttle is at high RPMs in neutral, and the second I bring the throttle back down, to go from neutral into "drive" or "reverse", the engine turns off. I am taking the picture you sent of the engine and going to check the engine again first thing in the morning to see if it's a match. I REALLY appreciate your help on this."

"Kim:

What is the RPM it

"Kim:

What is the RPM it is dying? Carb spray may help on the throttle plates bushings followed by a light oil to the bushings and the various linkages. Your problem sounds like a fuel issue at idle.

Do you know how to remove the top of the carb? If so, pour in about 4 ounces of SEA FOAM into the bowl and close it up. Operate the accellerator pump about 10 times and let it sit o/nite to help clean the idle circuit."

Back