Logo

Gimbal Bearing Removal

yeoman100

"I just bought a 1991 searay w

"I just bought a 1991 searay with a 3.0 mercruiser with the gen II drive. I believe the boat did a lot of sitting around and the gimbal may be original to the boat. I removed the drive and as I did so about a pint of water leaked out of the case and there was about an inch of standing water in the drive bellow. Is this normal or is it telling me to change the bellow. The U/J has surface rust but stll moves freely and shows no signins of wear. The Gimbal is corroded and I have almost popped a blood vessel trying to slide hammer it out, is there a better way to get it out?

Thanks M"

"TWO bowls of Wheaties for a w

"TWO bowls of Wheaties for a week before the task might help!

Perhaps a shot of penetrating oil the night before would help, but you did everything right."

"Mark,
I would have those

"Mark,
I would have those bellows replaced without thinking twice.That water got there somehow and you run the risk of sinking your new boat.I would also have new gimbal bearings,trim sensors,water hose,impellars installed as well and then your in water parts are set for a while.A few dollars now is much cheaper then the risk and worry...then you will be able to boat with a lot less on your mind and ease...Todd"

"I would be worried also about

"I would be worried also about your U joints. I think in 1991 they still had grease zirks, right? If so, give them a good shot of new grease and hope for the best.

Rod"

I`d check the transom side whe

I`d check the transom side where the boot connects to see if it`s been corroded away.For the price of new joints v.s. the price of the repairs if a joint lets go at 4200rpm.
You decide.
I use a piece of threded rod as a puller.

OK. Thanks for the info about

OK. Thanks for the info about the bearing - we're still swearing at it for tonight. Regarding replacing the trim limit/sender we need to remove the hinge pins. It looks as though there's a special "splined" tool available. Is this somethign I can pick up locally at an auto store or is it "specialized"?

The U joints do have grease ni

The U joints do have grease nipples and the corrosion is very light. As I am going through these jobs i am finding the enevatable tool for this and tool for that. Usually I would get by but are there any must have tools if i am going to do my own servicing?

gimbal pin tool is not needed

gimbal pin tool is not needed to replace the sensor. most try cutting and splicing but thats not correct either.some have been known to relocate the wiring with a new hole thru the transom and abandon the original wiring route.to replace it correctly you do need the tool (1/2 inch allen key might work)to remove the housing to get to the 2 bolts on the cover plate.

"Mark,
There are two(2&

"Mark,
There are two(2) cites that may help you.
1. Mercstuff.com
2. Outdrives.com
both have an area devoted to the technique in removing and replacing the gimble bering. I believe that mercstuff.com has some photos also. Look into these cites. There is a replacewment kit for the gimbal bering as well as all the bellows. It is located a e-basic power. The kit costs about $80. Some may argue that OEM is the best choice. I am not so sure. Tools are also listed on the cite outdrives.com. Hope this helps. Ask all the questions you want, this cite is a great place for information on how to repair Mercruiser engines and drives. All the best Joe
1990 280 DA
"SUMMER WIND""

[ .. a special "splined&#3

[ .. a special "splined" tool available. Is this somethign I can pick up locally ]

I picked up a three-pack of 1/2" drive hex sockets at AutoZone (I believe 1/2" 9/16" and 5/8") for about $9. Worked like a charm and will fit a torque wrench when reinstalling.

"as I did so about a pint

"as I did so about a pint of water leaked out of the case and there was about an inch of standing water in the drive bellow"

The water could have come from a flooded bilge w/the plug left in since you state it sat around alot.

Back