Logo

Another prob

johnnynegaunee

Contributing Member
"A fews days ago I asked about

"A fews days ago I asked about removing the outdrive yearly, thanks for the input. What prompted me to remove mine was an engine swap, my '72 2.5 Merc. is well worn so I got a donor boat '74 3.0L with far less hours. I see the exhaust manifold on the 3.0L is different, and it doesn't look like the bolt pattern is the same, so that I couldn't replace it with the one from the 2.5L. Is this true? And how do you get around this?

With the 3.0L in the boat, the exhaust riser outlet is higher by about 4" and offset toward the centerline by about 1.5" from where the old riser was. Can you just get a longer rubber bellows/boot? And the diameter of the exhaust is 2.75" vs. 3" on the new engine, will this be to much constriction? Has anyone done one of these older 70's engine replacements lately? Thanks for the input."

"Ayuh,....

You're tryin

"Ayuh,....

You're trying to put an Alpha dressed 3.0l into a Pre-Alpha dressed boat.....

You need the Right Manifold,+ Riser,....."

"I was thinking of swapping th

"I was thinking of swapping the manifold, but the bolt pattern looks different on the '74 3.0L. The drive on the donor boat was the same as my '72. I don't follow the Alpha drive statement Bondo, but sure appreciate your input. The only difference I can find is the exhaust manifold design as stated earlier. What sort of trouble would I get into if I just put a longer hose connection in between the engine and the gimbal?"

"[b]"I don't follow th

""I don't follow the Alpha drive statement Bondo,"

Ayuh,..... I'm sorry John,... I misread the years you stated....
Both your's are the same vintage drives.....

I think the Manifolds are interchangeable between the 2.5l,+ the 3.0l,...
I'll have to do some measuring,+ See.....

As far as your exhaust Offset,....
I'd think any way you can plumb it should Work,.....
Have a look thru Andrew's listings of Exhaust Hoses,...
Maybe there something right here at Marineengine that'll work...."

Back