Logo

2003 Mercruiser 43L in Bayliner 185 ignition problems

ifusayso

"After excellent results with

"After excellent results with my first post I decided to try again. When I turn my ignition switch off after running motor, the motor will not die. The engine will spit and sputter for a few seconds before finally dieing. Any suggestions. Thanks!"

"It's dieseling.
Is your

"It's dieseling.
Is your engine carburated? If so, check that the throttle is closing all the way. Also, make sure the idle is not set too high. Turn it off from idle speed.
Could also be caused by incorrect timing, or excessive blow-by. Seeing that it's a 2003, unless someone has taken it apart or it's been heavily used, I wouldn't suspect either of these."

I believe idle is 650. Is thi

I believe idle is 650. Is this correct. What is required to adjust throttle if it isnt closing. I am not for sure if the engine is carburated or not. I am currently at work and not near my boat. I am pretty sure the engine is efi. I have a spark arrestor sitting on top of the engine. Does this make any sense.

"Everything you said makes sen

"Everything you said makes sense.
650 is a good idle speed.
If you have "EFI" stamped somewhere on or around the engine, it's not carburated, and knowing that... makes this problem a little more interesting.
Have you changed the spark plugs recently?"

No I havent changed the plugs.

No I havent changed the plugs. This is my first season with the boat. I purchased the boat from a local pharmacist. The boat was not used much and was taken very well care of. The seller spent $200 every season on winterizing. I do not know if changing the spark plugs is included winterizing.

The only reason I ask is the w

The only reason I ask is the wrong temperature range plug can cause dieseling.
The only other thing I can think of is to check the ignition timing.

Troy:

A 4.3L 185 HP sound

Troy:

A 4.3L 185 HP sounds carbureted. 205 - 220 HP would be EFI wouldn't it? I agree with the plugs as part of the issue. Carb may also dribbling fuel a little due to high float setting and think there is also an accumulation of carbon on top of the pistons.

Merc. makes a carbon removal product.

"I didn't take the 185 as

"I didn't take the 185 as HP, I thought that was the model of the boat. "...in Bayliner 185..."

"vin#"? ...or engine serial number?

You'll have to check your book WRT the correct timing setting.

But assuming it is carburated, I'd check the float level setting and the condition of the needle and seat."

Back