Logo

Alpha lower unit noise

limofixer

I just recently purchased a 19

I just recently purchased a 1990 Larson bowrider with a 3.0 mercruiser. it was not running when i got it. it had a bad ignition module. So now the boat is finally running and i noticed when you shift from nuetral to forward a strange noise from the lower unit. I noticed that the shift cable from the motor to the drive was messed with and i don't think it was put back properly. but i don't know what the proper position is. Can anyone help me out with this? thanks

no its more like a metal type

no its more like a metal type churping noise. if it was on a car it would be like a starter engaging a bad flywheel...

"This may sound stupid, but do

"This may sound stupid, but does your drive have oil in it?
The gimbal bearing or the U joints can make weird chirping noises if they are dry.
Is it only when in forward gear?

Rod"

drive is full of oil. it only

drive is full of oil. it only makes the noise when you are going from neutral to forward and just starting to throttle up.

"No gear slipping in forward a

"No gear slipping in forward at all?
If so, is sounds like it is not fully engaging forward, which is a shift cable adjustment issue.

Rod"

thats what i was thinking bein

thats what i was thinking being the cable was messed with. No gear slipping. How can you tell if the cable is properly adjusted? I appreciate the help and patience

Marcel;
Email me offline and

Marcel;
Email me offline and I can send you something. The max upload attachment file size on the forum is very limited.

Rod

Back