Logo

Overheating prob3ltr Sterndrive

D

Dave Barrett

"I overheated my 3ltr engine l

"I overheated my 3ltr engine last week and have found my Alpha 1 gen2 leg has holed the plastic water pipe. My thermostat works in hot water but does look old. the waterpump and impeller looks good so what has caused my overheating? the top circulating pump appears to have wear, is this the cause?? have i damaged my seals in the upper gear case? any info here would be appreciated. Dave."

What year? "has holed the

What year? "has holed the plastic water pipe." What do you mean?

T'stat may not be working 100%; change it.

How old is the impeller? More than 3 yrs.? Change it.

"the top circulating pump appears to have wear" Please provide more info about it.

Is the OD oil level correct?

"The engine and sternleg are b

"The engine and sternleg are both 1994.

The internal pipe coming from the impeller pump has a melted hole in the side of it.

I intend to replace the t`stat along with the pipe and whole impeller pump as I have had this boat for 4 years now.

The circulation pump has one vain a little narrower than the others, I have no specs on this to judge if it also needs replacing.

oil drained out of the gearbox when I pulled the lower leg off but was all new one year ago.
Any technical assistance with this would be muchly appreciated, Thanks."

"The circulation pump has

"The circulation pump has one vain a little narrower than the others"

The pump on the front of the engine? I would think it needs replaced.

"whole impeller pump" Including the top and base?

Take a good look at the T'stat hsg. for rust buildup; may need acid dipped or replaced.

"Yes, the pump on the front of

"Yes, the pump on the front of the engine. I will replace it. The whole impeller pump means I can get the whole kit which includes impeller, base, s/steel housing, seals,thru the internet (TradeMe) but need to purchase the plastic water pipe seperately as my contact hasn`t any. This may take longer as will come from local dealership which will come thru Auckland via the USA or Australia. I live in the South Island of New Zealand where we only have a very small dealership and sternlegs are not the norm.
Thanks for the info you have given me . I will post my results when it is up and running. Thanks again, Dave."

Usually the impeller plastic t

Usually the impeller plastic top w/plastic tube will come in a kit and the plastic base w/oil seal is separate. Make sure of what you are getting.

Back