Logo

94b Evinrude 99

scott2

"Recently purchased supposedly

"Recently purchased supposedly a 94' 9.9 Evinrude that has been sitting around for the last 12yrs. IT is extra clean and suppsedly only has approximately 20hrs. on it. I was given about a 1 minute demo of it running before purchasing. It seemed to have good water pressure and the owner said that he had filled the carb with mineral spirits for all these yaers. My kids are anxiuos to get out on the water but I am reluctant until the motor has had a going over first. I would like to do as much as possible on my own but have never worked on one. Here are the things that I think need performed at minimum:
1) Drain the old fuel from the tank.
2) Change the lower unit oil, but am not sure how to.
3) Grease any of the fittings that I can locate.
4) Replace the plugs.
Other than that, I am up for suggestion. I hate to see a good deal go bad by not performing a little preventive maintenace... Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you recommend taking it to a mechanic, what should I expect them to perform other then what I have mentioned and what kind of damage to my wallet should I expect as well.
Thanks to any and all from new guy on the water hopefully,
Scott"

"1. clean/rebuild carb
2.tun

"1. clean/rebuild carb
2.tune up
3.*** inst new water impeller
if u are unable to do these things,then it would be best to take it in,where they do it every day.charges depend on your locale,shop labor rates etc....but i would say 2-300 dlrs."

"Thanks for the response jwb,

"Thanks for the response jwb,
For a person who feels somewhat mechanically inclined. If I were to purchase a manual for say $20-$35 an attempt to do these things my self, do you think I would realy save much $$ after the parts were purchased. Also from what I have read online about the advertisemnts for the manuals they say that they have good illustrations (pics)."

"the best manuals,are factory

"the best manuals,are factory service manuals....the others are waaay to vague...not enuf info,...and pix...YOU will have to make your repair decisions,..but,there's alot of guys on here to help."

Back