Logo

Yamaha T99 questions 1996 yr

lynnie

"Hi folks, I'm a woman do

"Hi folks, I'm a woman doing boat motor maintenance for the first time in my life, and am looking for advice. I have the owner's manual and am reading and doing. My husband did all of this in the past but he died unexpectedly this past February and I am determined to do this stuff.

I can't get the spark plug wires off. I think they must screw on but manual does not discuss. I tried to get them loose on the other end of the plug wire and pulled a little boot back but can't get it out of there either and it looks like it is all one piece which I think would be impossible. How do these things work? How hard should I pull? In fact I've pulled about as hard as I'm able so some type of a tool will be involved next.

I changed the engine oil and the lower unit oil. The user manual mentions tightening torque for the oil drain plug, oil filter, etc. How important is that torque thing? I don't think my husband did that but I'm not certain. I think he just tightened everything up good and tight.

Engine Oil- the manual says use API designations of SE, SF. I looked in the stores and those letters are just not there. Plus lots of them say 'synthetic' now. I used some SH oil that my husband had in the barn (new, unopened) but what type should I get?

Batteries-There are 2 batteries. I'm going to have to replace one of them because it won't hold a charge. Is it important to determine which one goes in which spot? (in cabin under sink or under starboard seat) The under the sink battery box lid itself is wired up somehow. I don't plan to use that because I don't even know what it is for. The manual says 12-70-100 cold crank 380. I assume it is 12 volt, 70-100 ?, and the cold crank is straight forward. If I get one with cold crank > 380 that will fit in the box will I be okay? I plan to buy at Sams Club.

Any help appreciated. Lynnie"

"try twisting back and forth f

"try twisting back and forth for spark plugs

torques are hard to get, just make sure they are tight, run motor and check tightness again

must be a FC-W motor oil

one should be a starting and another should be deep cycle

they will say deep or starting batteries"

"Hello Just in time, thanks fo

"Hello Just in time, thanks for the info. I was able to get the plug wires off as you suggested. I had tried that but I just didn't keep at it long enough I guess.

I finally figured out that the batteries were joined together, I assume to let the motor charge both of them. I have not put that back like that so far, but I am thinking about it.

I'm planning to take it to the lake, put up the mast and launch it today. Thanks again for your help. Lynnie"

Back