Logo

50 hp Johnson has no water flow after new pump

leros

"I recently acquired a 1999 50

"I recently acquired a 1999 50hp Johnson that had been sitting for about two years, I flushed the 2-cycle oil from the carbs and fuel line, replaced the starter and fired it up. It was not passing water through the tube so I shut it down. Pulled off the tube, blew through it found it blocked, replaced it and still no water out of it. After installing a new water pump yesterday (old one was wasted) fired it up and still no water coming out of tube. I tried different water pressures from the garden hose but no change.

It looks like this model uses a Vermatherm and not a normal thermostat I bought one but have not put it in yet.
Am I missing something else here? This is my first outboard so I'm looking for some much needed help.

SteveO"

"disc your water tube(pee

"disc your water tube(pee line) from the conn on blk,and see if IT is blocked,clean it out ,and re-verify tubing is clear...test run,..no water from a clear elbow conn,go back into water pump."

"another thing u can do is,pul

"another thing u can do is,pull the thermo assm,out leave cap off,start it....see if water gushes out."

"Thanks for your responses jwb

"Thanks for your responses jwb, I already replaced the "pee line" because it was clogged. I also did pull the thermo assembly and got nothing out of there either.
I'm going to drop the lower end again Sat to make sure there is no blockage in the line above the water pump in the housing. I will stick a water hose up it and blast it. I don't know what else to do."

"u may have just missed the wa

"u may have just missed the water tube,when re-inst lu......while off,re ck the impeller,and that it is in fact 'keyed'."

I made sure that the impeller

I made sure that the impeller was "keyed" when I installed it but I will definately check it when I have it off.

SteveO

"I found the problem. There wa

"I found the problem. There was an o-ring beneath the bottom of the old impeller in the pump, the new kit didn't come with one so I bought one and put in the same place. Bad choice on my part, the old impeller was recessed for an o-ring and the new impeller wasn't so I took the o-ring out and voila! It pumps water!
I learned a valuable time consuming lesson, just put in what comes with replacement kits."

Back