Logo

Water in cylinders

dave_85

"Started my 91 inboard 351 las

"Started my 91 inboard 351 last night for the first time of the year. I drained the anti freeze got everything back together and started it. It started fine ran for about 5min. then I noticed the temp gauge was not moving and I smelled burning rubber. I forgot to tighten the water strainer bowl so the water pump was sucking air. I tightened up the bowl and water started flowing.

In the fog of the moment I thought I fried the water pump impeller so I turned it off. I took the pump apart and there was still soap in it and the impeller look OK so I put it back together. That took about 5min. When I tried to start it the engine was frozen. It would not turn over. I pulled the plugs and turned it over. I had water in the two front cylinders. I kept turning it over until the water was gone. I put the plugs back in and started it back up. It ran fine no over heating, no water in the oil.

How did the water get in the cylinders? What did I break?"

I would suspect the manifolds.

I would suspect the manifolds. If they are old they may have burned through when they oveheated.

I skied with the boat last nig

I skied with the boat last night. It started great
and ran great. No water in the oil after 2 hours running time. Everything looks good.

The boat is a Ski Nautique. It has the Venray(sp?)
muffler that is mounted behind the engine at the same level as the output of the exhaust risers.

Any idea how the water got in the cylinders.

What do you mean "you fill

What do you mean "you filled the motor with hose running!!"?

By hose do you mean garden hose. I am running the boat in a lake!

I'm about to run my inboad

I'm about to run my inboad for the first time in the driveway on the garden hose. What is the correct way of doing this to prevent water getting into the wrong place.

I use a 5 gal. bucket and fill

I use a 5 gal. bucket and filling the bucket with the garden hose on full. Put a hose on the input to the trans cooler and then the other end in the bucket.

Watch the level of water in the bucket. At fast idle my garden hose does not keep up. If you attatch the garden hose directly to the input the raw water pump will suck it dry!

Will the raw water pump pull t

Will the raw water pump pull the water out of the bucket if I use a fake a lake with a short hose?

"Always suck water from a buck

"Always suck water from a bucket. Never attach a hose directly to the water pump. IF the engine is not running there is a possibility for water to flow back through the risers and then into the manifolds...

Some designs are more prone to this that others. But, it's a great way to trash an engine so it's not worth finding out the hard way."

Back