Logo

CRACKED BLOCK mercruiser 165

I have a 1977 Galixy given to

I have a 1977 Galixy given to me with a cracked block form my uncle. I have repaired the crack with JB WELD changed the milky oil and ran for 30 min with the mufs. The boat ran perfect like there was nothing wrong with it. BUT there was water in the oil again. I have also noticed when I used a spray bottle and sprayed the seam between the intake and the head there were bubbles there. I used the same intake gasket. would it be a bad seal or the fact that the block was cracked to let water back in the oil? Also the block has no outer water leaks anymore. Will there still be hidden water in the engine I wasnt able to get cause the milky oil and just need a few oil changes to clear it out? Thank you

You might get lucky and only h

You might get lucky and only have to flush a time or two to get rid of all the water in the block.
But my gut feel is that its likely that there is another internal crack or two that are leaking water from the water jacket into the oilpan.
Only way to tell is to test it again.

Rod

"[b]"Can I do a block pres

""Can I do a block presure test? And how would I do it?"

Ayuh,....
Just drain the cooling system, Block it off,+ Pressurize it to about 10/ 15psi......
Then Listen,..... You'll Hear it leaking....

My Guess is,....
The Inside wall of the block is Cracked exactly opposite from the Outside crack you already repaired...

A Replacement Block is really the Only Fix...."

Fixed the problem. I put a hel

Fixed the problem. I put a helicoil in the block for the loose head bolt and put a new intake gasket on. No more water in oil and runs down the mississippi great. no problems after block is fixed

Fixed the problem. I put a hel

Fixed the problem. I put a helicoil in the block for the loose head bolt and put a new intake gasket on. No more water in oil and runs down the mississippi great. no problems after block is fixed
Hey, I know it's almost 20 years later, but was your fix permanent?

Back