Logo

Remove outdrive yearly

johnnynegaunee

Contributing Member
Is this a good idea or just ma

Is this a good idea or just making yourself more work? Will silicone sealer applied instead of formed seals work as good on the mating surfaces? Thanks.

"Why would you want to remove

"Why would you want to remove your driveleg yearly?
Does it need work? How many years since last inspection and impeller change?

DO NOT use any sealer on the drive mount gasket! You will just make it a bear to remove the next time. The gasket is applied dry, or you can use a light coating of lubriplate or 101C grease on both sides. Nothing more.

Rod"

"use the right gaskets.

I

"use the right gaskets.

I would remove when there's a problem. Pull out yearly and change oil, grease, check bellows. Do the water pump in the lower end every 3 depending on amount of use."

"Hey Rod,
Believe it or not m

"Hey Rod,
Believe it or not my Mercruiser manual suggests removing it every year when you put it to bed for the winter! If it were only that quick and easy!"

"Never use Silicone Form-A-Gas

"Never use Silicone Form-A-Gasket when the item being sealed is under pressure like a water circulating pump; damn stuff w/blow out on you when you least expect it to do it. If necessary, it's OK for sealing engine cover parts; valve covers, etc."

"I personally find that removi

"I personally find that removing drives is a unnessacry pain,unless stat before if there is a problem then do it,but you can drain it do a pressure test ,keep track of the hrs. on the pump and drain and fill it every year,I got a couple of customers that want to pull them each year and it can be a real hassle"

"Drives really need to be pull

"Drives really need to be pulled each year for preventive maintenance.

1. Check for water in bellows. (takes out u-joints and gimbal bearing, rusts drive yoke and takes out seal. $$$

2. Grease u-joints and check Gimbal bearing for smoothness.

3. Check alignment. ( Important as bad alignment will take out your coupler requiring an engine pull.)

4. Change gear lube.

As far as pulling the drive, it's only 8 nuts. I can have it off in less than 10 minutes. A complete drive service should only take about an hour to hour and a half.(If you don't do an impeller.) I consider it cheap insurance.

Bodean"

"Ayuh,.....

I Too think tha

"Ayuh,.....

I Too think that Preventive Maintance is Cheaper than waiting for something to Break....."

Back