Logo

Mercruiser 165 over heating

blaurenkennedy

"My boat ran great last year.

"My boat ran great last year. tons of new work, tune up, lines replaced ect. Turn key winterized. When i took it out the first time it over heated in about five minutes and started spraying out antifreeze all over the engine. What should I do? Please help...
uhoh.gif
"

"I assumed the therm was chang

"I assumed the therm was changed at winterizing.
Yes, it could be but you did check it when it was winterized,right?"

"i had it done at a mrina. The

"i had it done at a mrina. They replaced impeller, seal on exhaust drive and drive unit, and bellows unit 6/5/07. Therm was not replaced and I'm worried some other kind of damage could have been done when it overheated. It turns over still but won't start"

"safety lanyard at the helm,ta

"safety lanyard at the helm,tach is bad,
shift interlock activated or bad,points dirty/glazed"

"First do a compression check

"First do a compression check and leakdown check..will tell you alot. Overheating is not a good thing. Engines can go bad (scored cyclinders,ect) in 30 seconds with no water.

Mike"

""over heated in about fiv

""over heated in about five minutes and started spraying out antifreeze all over the engine"

What happened first; hose blew and "...started spraying out antifreeze all over the engine..." then it "...overheated..." or vice-versa?
uhoh.gif

Where on the hose did it split? Is the heat exchanger clogged from growth of solder bloom (mineral crystals--I've seen them as big as golf balls in the bottom of a radiator) that plugs the cooling tubes over the winter?"

""Turn key winterized"

""Turn key winterized" ...what does that mean?
What work did they do to winterize it?

Where is it spraying anti-freeze from?

Since it's spraying antifreeze, one would assume it's fresh water cooled, but is it? Or was it spraying out the antifreeze the shop put in during winterizing?

Overheated where? ...in the water, or at home in the driveway on the muffs? Was the outdrive fully lowered?"

"Sorry, with all the questions

"Sorry, with all the questions being asked I had to spit that out.

It seems as though a definition of winterization changes from shop to shop. I was under the impression that winterization was antifreeze in block, fresh water/lines, Head and holding tank, fogging of motors, removal of batteries, stabilizer in fuel tanks, and shrink wrapping.

Oil changes, tune-ups, belts, thermostats are all under engine maintainance in my book, not winterization."

It seems as though a source fo

It seems as though a source for the "antifreeze" needs to be established. Did a hose burst or did it separate from the housing? Could it be as simple as a hose clamp not tightened? I've done that in high stress situation and once pressure built up it blows the end of the hose off.

Back