Logo

1971 johnson 100 hp outboard

terry_k

I have a johnson 100 hp outboa

I have a johnson 100 hp outboard. I am having a problem with sometimes i have reverse and some times not. Sometimes when i am drifting to the dock i try putting it in reverse to slow down and it will go forward like it is in forward. If cut the motor off and restart and go straight to reverse it will work sometimes. Can anyone help with this problem thanks..

This motor needs type-C gear o

This motor needs type-C gear oil.Water in the oil is a no-no as well.Is this a problem that started suddenly?? These units are not meant to be a " brake " for a boat and are only for low speed reverse application.

I had the oil changed at a sho

I had the oil changed at a shop less than a month ago and was told there was no water in the oil. I am new to boating when i put into reverse i may have speed the engine up trying to go into reverse could that have messed it up. Thanks for your help.

"It's possible that the me

"It's possible that the mechanic who changed the gearlube did not know that the Hydro Electric Shift gearcase (yours) takes a special lubricant and installed the standard shift "HiVis 80/90w" lube. This would interfere with the shifting to put it mildly.

Your lower unit, as ikia states, demands what is called "Premium Blend" gearlube, also known as "Type C". This is available only at a Evinrude or Johnson dealership.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"i believe,.......that sierra

"i believe,.......that sierra carries this as well.....in fact,come to think of it,i know they do,as i had to order some last summer,...as i dont see many of those any more."

Hi i am still having problems

Hi i am still having problems with my reverse sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It will work if i cut the motor off then back on and go to reverse. But if i am in forward and go to reverse it won't go in. Also when i have it hooked up to water in my yard i see that water is coming out between the lower unit and upper is there a gaset there if so can that have something to do with the reverse problem.

"It is normal ------ there is

"It is normal ------ there is no gasket and it has nothing to do with shifting.It sounds like the shift piston is not moving properly , either due to no oil pressure or dirt in the piston bore."

"Well , I test these units on

"Well , I test these units on the bench. You hook up 12 volts to the green wire and when you turn the shaft quickly with a visegrip it will shift to nuetral after 1 turn. Hook up both green and blue and it should go to reverse in 2 turns. If not the unit needs to be torn down for inspection and repair.Often the filter screen has broken and the debris is spread thru the system.These things are wonderfully simple when you know how they work"

I have a 1971 Johnson 100hp ou

I have a 1971 Johnson 100hp outboard that starts up in forward and will not shift to neutral or reverse. The lower unit's been serviced and has had some wiring and a solenoid replaced. Could the incorrect gear lube really be causing this problem?

Hi I took the lower unit off a

Hi I took the lower unit off and tryed to test the neutral and reverse. i hooked up 12 volts to the green and it stayed in forward then i tryed to 12 volts to both green and blue and it still stayed in forward any ideals what the problem might be.Thanks for the help.

"Terry.... The driveshaft must

"Terry.... The driveshaft must be turning in order for that lower unit to shift. The driveshaft turning causes a oil pump to function within the lower unit which creates hydraulic pressure on the shifter dog.

(Hydro Electric Shift)
(J. Reeves)

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Premium Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

Note: The engine must be running OR have the driveshaft turning by some other means in order for the engine to shift.

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).
With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back