Logo

Trouble Starting Yamaha 4 stroke 99 HP Outboard

mayan

"Second year in a row put the

"Second year in a row put the sailboat in the water and can't start the motor
lame.gif
. Motor was fully serviced beginning of last season. Its a Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 HP Outboard motor - electric start. Also had difficulty starting on and off through last summer. But years prior motor was working well, seems to be a new problem in the last 2 yrs and nothing unusual has happened to the motor/boat. Checked battery - okay (as turns over), gas connections are good, spark plugs checked and dried, etc. Anyone know of any history of "starting" issues with this type of motor? Any suggestions on what to try... Help would be much appreciated..."

"if fule is left in the engin

"if fule is left in the engin over winter it can evaporate and leave small crystals behind which in turn can block carb jets filters etc.
clean all theese and all fule lines. This "dirt" can ocasionaly clean its self out explaining why the problem comes and goes. Also make sure you have a fule filter between the tank and the engin, dirty fule is a majour cause of engin failure.
If you live in a small town where the petrol station is not so buisy theese fule crystals may come suspended in your new fule so consider bying fule in a bigger town where it dose not sit stagnant for as long.
I learned this the hard way."

When cranking put your thumb o

When cranking put your thumb over the screen of the air intake.You may have to be persistent to get it to run.When you are done run fuel out till next time.

same problem. Once I do get it

same problem. Once I do get it to start it runs ok after about 5 minutes and then restarts perfectly fine. it has to have something to do with the enrichment circuit.. is this an easy thing to service or is there a way around it?

Back