Logo

Strange engine noise on bayliner 175 br with mercruiser 30

stefbel

"Hello,

I'm a new bayli

"Hello,

I'm a new bayliner owner and mine has just 6 hours... A 175 BR XT with 135 hp mercruiser 3.0.
Since 2 hours now, when the engine get warm, either on neutral position (no speed) or low RPM, a very strange noise comes from the front side of the engine (the side you can see in a small movie I linked hereby). It seems to disappear at higher speed (which I'm not sure as the overall engine noise is quite high).
Please find the video here :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefbel/2481911067/in/set-72157604995746041/
hard to say if it's a moving part that touches a fix one or if it's a pump noise.
It's not the bilge pump.... this for sure
The frequency of the noise does not increase with the speed, or just a bit. The noise just get shorter.
Does anyone already experience such a problem.
by the way it's not a bird .
Regards,
STEF
happy.gif
"

It sounds like a relief valve

It sounds like a relief valve or similar item since it is cycling consistantly. Let the dealer tell you what it is.

"Weirdest thing I ever heard.

"Weirdest thing I ever heard.
Are you sure you don't have frogs in the bilge?

It's not likely going to cause catastrophic failure, so I would just monitor it for the next few hours and see if it changes.

Have you asked your dealer about this? For warranty protection I would definitely put them on notice. That way if something fails, they can't say you should have talked to them at the first sign of trouble.

Rod"

"Yes, I sent them the video. B

"Yes, I sent them the video. But remotely hard for them to talk.
to sum up the purpose of my intervention on this forum, let's say I purchased the boat 200 miles from my hometown as the local dealer sells it 35% higher...
And now i have this noise, and the local dealer who didn't sell the boat HAS to fix it under warranty agreement with the Maker. And I fear he would take this opportunity to make problem as a kind of "vengeance". So I want to first identify the problem with your help. Then I will be able to show him I know what it is, and he won't be able to argue.
Thanks,
Stef"

"Got me stumped... very odd.

"Got me stumped... very odd.
WRT the dealer finding another problem and making you pay for it... it's under warranty right? If what they find happens to be something not covered, wouldn't the dealer have to ask your permision before doing any work you would have to pay for... and provide a written estimate, if requested?"

"Here's my WAG after liste

"Here's my WAG after listening 10 more times; Pull the belts off one at a time for starters. That penguin under the oil pan doesn't look too happy either.
biggrin.gif
"

"Just a guess, belt or a beari

"Just a guess, belt or a bearing squeal. waterpump or alt .suggest pulling the belt and test run.(60-90 sec.)See if the noise goes away.If it does, spin the waterpump and alt to try and isolate it."

Back