Logo

After shift cable replacement engines dies in reverse

"I just replaced the shift cab

"I just replaced the shift cable on a 1989 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 1. Everything seems to be adjusted correctly and I can shift from forward to neutral to reverse and back with no problem. The engine runs fine when I am in forward, but when I give it any gas in reverse, the engine just dies.

It shifts into reverse fine and the propeller is turning in reverse as long as I don't go above idle. As soon is I inch the throttle up above idle, the engine just dies.

I'm not sure where to start looking for this problem. Is the interrupter switch causing the engine to cut out? It seems like this would only happen when I shifted into reverse and not after it had shifted and been idling in reverse for a while.

Any suggestions would be appreciated."

I would look for the interrupt

I would look for the interrupter switch. Is the little wheel seating in the groove properly. Its easy to screw up in a cable replacement. Follow the manual proceedures carefully for adjustment. (get a mercruiser service manual if you don't have one.)

"Well, it was an adjustment pr

"Well, it was an adjustment problem. I did the adjustment procedure in the service manual twice as well as the excellent tutorial at
http://www.sterndrives.com/replace_alpha_shiftcable.html
After all three procedures, I had the same problem. I finally just started adjusting the barrel on the control cable a little bit at a time until the switch was acting properly in both directions. It runs fine now.

Thanks for the advice."

Thanks. At least I am the expe

Thanks. At least I am the expert on this particular shift cable on this particular alpha. My guess is that the next one will have a completely different set of issues.

not sure if this is my problem

not sure if this is my problem or not just bought the boat its a 1988 searay. started up fine idle well shifted good first run out both foreward and reverse. came back into dock after about an hour of running around went to back back out and motor died started back up first time ok idling well but dies going into reverse then popped the ignition breaker resetr starts but is still stalling and popping breaker going into reverse forward is working well at idle and high speed any help would be appriciated

Popping the breaker means you

Popping the breaker means you have a serious short to ground.
Check the interrupter switch wiring thoroughly. My bet is you will find it bare somewhere.

Rod

Back