Logo

Looking for info please

knehdn

Contributing Member
"Was just given a 24' Rein

"Was just given a 24' Reinell with a Mercruiser 228 in it. Haven't had a chance to see the engine yet, but was able to get the following numbers off the sterndrive. 2.00R 479527
Any help in deciphering would be greatly appreciated.
Please and thank you."

"228 should put it in the rang

"228 should put it in the range of 1977-1983 or thereabouts. That should be a 5 liter 305 GM small block.
The 2.00 is the ratio of your drive leg. Its a model 1 drive leg, or pre-Alpha.
YOu should be able to get whatever parts you need by referring to the 228 model number.

Rod"

"Thanks Rod.
When it gets del

"Thanks Rod.
When it gets delivered this week, I'll be able to get numbers off the engine. I've been told that it's been a couple or more years since this has seen water, and most likely wasn't winterized after its last haulout, so it'll be interesting to see what I find. I know the sterndrive is tethered to keep it up, so I'm sure there's probably some hydraulics issues.
But after it gets here, I know my first posted question will be, "Where do I start?"

Gabe"

"Gabe;
Don't know where y

"Gabe;
Don't know where you live, or where the boat has been stored, but hopefully someone drained the water out of it if there was any chance of freezing temps?

If not, likely the block and manifolds are shot.

Rod"

"Yea...that scenario kinda cro

"Yea...that scenario kinda crossed my mind.
Just hafta wait and see.
I look at this way - it's free, so even if it cost me some coin in the next year or so, I'll probably still be ahead...I hope.
Live in London, Ontario, by the way."

Back