Logo

88 60hp 3cyl johnson

nut

"Engine been running.went to s

"Engine been running.went to start no fire.Did all checks with meter.Found powerpack bad.Got new one from MarineEngine @ engine cranked.When engine idling in neutral ,it will go up to 4000 rpms by it self.Cut it off restart push lever forward @ thortle up to 5000 rpms.Pull lever back to neutral @ engine will keep running at that rpm until i turn key off. I,am LOST!!!!!! ANY HELP"

"Opening the throttle with the

"Opening the throttle with the engine in neutral sets up a runaway engine scenario and is to be avoided..... period!

That will eventually result in having the connecting rods flying thru the side of the crankcase.

A V4 running on two cylinders can obtain a high rpm reading but why chance destroying the powerhead..... That practice serves no purpose.

If you're having a problem, what is it? And if you're having a problem.......

Trouble shoot the engine properly. Take a compression reading.. should be 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Is it?

Check the spark on all cylinders... should jump a 7/16" with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP. Does it?"

I am not opening throttle in n

I am not opening throttle in neutral. When I start engine it idles a few secs @ then starts to speed up my it self. Spark looks good. Have not check compression.Engine ran good befor powerpack went bad.

"Check that the link between s

"Check that the link between sensor assy and lever is in place. Pos 46.
169118.gif
"

"ck adjustment,.....loose part

"ck adjustment,.....loose parts on throttle cable,...have u been tinkering w/link and sync?????u might want to either take it in,or get a factory service manual.....this eng can easily be corrected by a knowledgeable tech in 4 min...and u can do it too!!"

Engine is now idling ok.Made a

Engine is now idling ok.Made adjustment on link and sync. Going to lake next week and see what happens. Thanks a lot for help and quick reponse!!!!!!

NEW PROBLEM. Oil leak at prop.

NEW PROBLEM. Oil leak at prop. Leaking at bottom of prop. Is there a seal on prop shaft? If so how to change?

"befor u panic,..ck the color

"befor u panic,..ck the color of your lower unit oil....it may very well be oil/fuel residue from idling and adjusting.....very common...if u have water in LU,or milky oil then u prob have a seal leaking,..if not,prob the residue,..however,it never hurts to do a good,thorough reseal job."

Checked oil. Level @ color OK.

Checked oil. Level @ color OK. Color that was leaking was more black.Appears to be residue. THANKS!!!!

Back