Logo

Misfiring 99

51lyman

"My 1979 9.9 has been acting u

"My 1979 9.9 has been acting up for a long time and I've never figured it out; maybe someone can help?
It runs roughly at different times but there is one particular scenario that is always the same: If I accelerate normally it will run smoothly right up to WOT and then begin to run roughly. However, if I then back it off a bit and kind of creep back up to WOT it will often be fine. Sometimes it will begin to run roughly again and I can repeat the process of backing off a bit then creeping back up to WOT. It has new plugs, a carb kit, etc. and it all seems fine. I've fiddled with the synchronization without much luck. I'm guessing I might have a coil problem but that's just a guess, and I don't know how to eliminate that possibilty. Any ideas? Thanks!"

"sounds like one of my probs..

"sounds like one of my probs.........my eng runs great----80's 25....everything,..incl pwr pack,...i have repl......still at right at planing speed,...15' alum river boat,..it has a miss.........ck'ed the coils etc.....all seem fine......and i have spent a few --even at my cost,-- on this.........no go........
my thoughts are......a poss leaking seal..causing a slight miss in this area .....or .....a def coil.......i dunno....runs excellent except in that one spot........a total rebuild,repl 2 coils......or live w/it......aaaaaaaw,i gotta fix it,.....cuzzzzzzzz,......i could over look it,.....but.....my sig other........seezz,your mtr is missing.....

and i cant stand THAT..."

"JWB:
I must be honest and sa

"JWB:
I must be honest and say that sometimes I wonder what You are smoking?
Grant:
There are two possibilities: Fuel or ignition.
Start by connecting the fuel hose from tank directly onto the carb and use the primer bulb as pump to eliminate any possibility of fuel shortage.
If this does not work, check and clean all connectors and cables in the ignition system. It might be cable breakage from armature plate or similar. If possible hook a timing light to each cyl and check if You are loosing power to the plugs.
I take it for granted that cooling system like impeller and thermostat is in 'new' condition."

we dont smk what malasions do.

we dont smk what malasions do........i dont need u....to trblsht my stuff.......trust meeeeee

"----- I was simply contributi

"----- I was simply contributing to his discussion,saying it happens to us all......i have been deliberately,avoiding,confrontations.w/mrty.......guess all that is out the window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"after all my posts,..YOU STIL

"after all my posts,..YOU STILL have'nt figured out my credintials???....your statement,pretty much,p)(**^& me the F)(&^%* off!!!!!!"

Back