Logo

Newbie question about tohatsu engines

johnf

Hi folks! I'm new to this

Hi folks! I'm new to this and I'm trying to find out about Tohatsu engines. Are they considered very well made (good quality)? I'm thinking of ordering a 18hp from an online dealer. What can you guys tell me about these Tohatsu outboards?

Thanks!

John

"Hi John;
I own a 30 hp. 4 st

"Hi John;
I own a 30 hp. 4 stroke, also bought on line....excellent motor..you must have a certified Tohotsu dealer install in order to recieve a warrantee....cost me $500. Still cheaper and better!!"

"I'm also about ready to b

"I'm also about ready to buy a Tohatsu 9.8HP electric-start four-stroke outboard engine from an online dealer for $1,850 compared to a near-identical BF9.8 Honda engine selling for $2,843 (icluding tax) at a store-front dealer. Per Bob O's comments, do I really have to pay an additional $500 to have a certified Tohatsu dealer install my 9.8HP engine on my boat to receive a factory warranty? If so, I'll buy the Honda where the difference drops from $1,000 to $500. Please give me more input on the validity of this Tohatsu dealer installation charge to get a warranty."

Back