Logo

Tohatsu 5hp Outboard question

S

Surfrat

"Hi, I bought a 5hp Tohatsu OB

"Hi, I bought a 5hp Tohatsu OB last summer which I was led to believe is a '95 or '96. In any case the motor is in pretty good shape and did run. I took it out on a local river yesterday for the first time to check it out. I had it running at 3/4 full throtle for about 5 minutes and noticed the engine heating up alot. I stopped the motor out of concern - shook up the gas tank and then started it back up after a few more minutes it was getting wicked hot again,... I shut it down and oared back to shore. I did not get a service manual when I bought the motor and figured that the oil to fuel mixture was 50-1, so I put 8oz of 2 cycle oil in my 3 gallon gas tank. Is this the right mixture,.... or did I screw it up and that is why the motor was heating up?? What else might be causing the motor to get so hot!

Thank alot for any response. BTW: I'm not a small engine mechanic.

Thomas"

"8 oz for 3 gallons would be c

"8 oz for 3 gallons would be correct (it's 50:1...you can download an owner's manual from the Tohatsu website at www.tohatsu.com and they also have an oil/gas mixture chart under their tech info section). Was the motor "peeing" strong from the tell-tale? Sounds like you may need to replace the water pump impeller. It's recommended to change it every couple of years. Not that hard to do yourself, although you should purchase a Service Manual before attempting if you've never done it before. You can buy the waterpump kit and service manual online at www.internetotuboards.com."

Back