Logo

Mercruiser Lower Unit Alpha I clicks

C

Chasen

"With the engine off, the shif

"With the engine off, the shifter in reverse a mechanic spins the prop counterclockwise and we hear clicking. He tells me that my gears are bad and have to be replaced. Last year I noticed no trouble with my reverse except the the usual bit of grind into gear. I was also told that the prop should not spin when in gear like this. Any advice? I'm facing a $500-900 repair?"

The prop should freewheel in o

The prop should freewheel in one direction. That noise is normal when spinning the prop in gear.

The noise is normal. The lower

The noise is normal. The lower unit is designed that way in an attempt to reduce the damage to the prop and gears if an under water object is struck.

"Rod,

I just had the engine

"Rod,

I just had the engine running with the ears on and had both rev and fwd. Hear a little rattle at first in rev at low RPM but at about 700-800rpms the noise quieted."

they make a little racket norm

they make a little racket normally. You might be hearing ujoints if the drive is not all the way down and gears noise. I think its time to go boating and report back to us.

"If it turns out that this IS

"If it turns out that this IS normal and your gears are NOT bad, I'd be very disappointed in your mechanic."

"If it turns out things are no

"If it turns out things are not quite right, you should get it looked at ASAP, as the longer you run it with gears that are mulching, the worse (more expensive) the repairs are going to be. JMO.

Rod"

"Another thought;
After your

"Another thought;
After your test run, try removing the lower drive oil drain plug briefly, and drain a small amount of drive oil into your palm.

Look at this oil (and the magnet on the drain plug, if equipped) carefully under a bright light for metal fragments. Rub it carefully between your fingers.

If you don't spot or feel any metal, you are likely good to go. Note that depending on how long it has run since the last drive oil change, it is normal to find a few tiny whiskers or flakes on the magnet. If you find anything larger than grain of salt size, there is trouble ($$$!) looming.

Rod"

Back