Logo

Noisy alpha 1 leg

ged

Contributing Member
I have a very bad knocking sou

I have a very bad knocking sound apearing to come from the bell housing-uni joint area.However the u-joint is new and the gimble bearing is in good condition infact both leg and 485 engine have only just ticked over 100hrs.Recently i removed leg and tried another that was fresh from a major overhaul with still the same resulting noise.It is loudest trimmed up and steered left to right but does it also trimmed down to a lesser degree.Classic symptoms for uni and gimble but this dosnt seem to be the case.I am now wondering if it is coupler problems.However there is no noise around rear of engine just around leg itself.I look forward to reading your thoughts that may help with my diagnosis.CHEERS.

"make sure the gimbal bearing

"make sure the gimbal bearing is all the way seated. if it is even slightly off, it will be noisy."

"Thanks Scott,have had gimble

"Thanks Scott,have had gimble removed for inspection previously so I will recheck its seating.Could the gimble housing itself be out of alignment perhaps.Thanks again."

"Thanks Rod,alignment seems to

"Thanks Rod,alignment seems to check out ok,have been wondering if roller bearings in gimble ring could be the cause of the noise.The more revs the more noise and there is side to side play in gimble ring but dosnt seem to be eccesive is this normal."

Just pulled leg off again and

Just pulled leg off again and looking at u-joint splines there is a lot of wear on one side of each spline.Am i getting any closer to solving the problem.

"Shiney on one side of each sp

"Shiney on one side of each spline is normal, but excessive wear is not.
Take a bright light and look closely at the splines in the coupler for wear. They should be square.
YOu may need to replace the coupler if worn.
That calls for engine R & R.

Rod"

"assuming drive is ok as 2 wer

"assuming drive is ok as 2 were tried,coupler is ok,I would shoot more grease into bearing fitting and see if the noise stops or changes.What drive are we working with?...Todd"

"shoot more grease into be

"shoot more grease into bearing fitting"

Do it while the engine is idling to disperse the grease evenly.

Back