Logo

Replacing water pump on alpha 1

seaduction

"hi just replaced water pump o

"hi just replaced water pump on out drive. installed gear housing everything worked fine. so i thought..... it would not go into forward or reverse. i read the man. and then noticed that it says to lock into foward gear, and also to shift it into foward gear. ive done both had the unit off 3 different times. but still cant get it to work properly. what am i doing wrong. and is there a way to adjust the shifting without taking the gear housing off again?"

The shift shaft in the lower i

The shift shaft in the lower is rotated fully clockwise(fwd)and is aligned (CAREFULLY)with the shift shoe in the upper(control box fwd).Is the shift jammed tight or you move the handle and nothing happens.

"i think the manule said to ro

"i think the manule said to rotate counter clockwise. i'll double check to make sure. it shifts foward no problem but will not go in reverse. when i did all this yesterday i didnt check to make sure it would work properly as it was getting late. this morning i started it up and noticed it would not go forward or reverse. the shifter moved perfectly fine. now after pulling apart and doing what manule said to do it shifts foward, but wont shift backwards when i trie to shift backwards it dies if try to put any preasure on it."

"Almost forgot, did you rememb

"Almost forgot, did you remember to install the SS washer on the splined lower shaft.It keeps the shoe from down."

ok you lost me on that. but i

ok you lost me on that. but i did just re-read the section on putting gear housing back on. it says to rotate shaft CLOCKWISE and put slight counter clockwise on the prop. is that correct. if so i did it wrong. i just turned the shift shaft counter clockwise and installed. is there anyway to fix that without taking it apart AGAIN.

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
168960.gif
"

"No, you need to drop the lowe

"No, you need to drop the lower until the shoe is disconnected, turn the shaft clockwise fully,reinstall shoe, raise back up."

"yes done everything by the bo

"yes done everything by the book but misread how it said to rotate shaft i rotated it counter clockwise and turned prop clockwise. when i should have done the opposite to each. but can it be fixed without taking gear casing back off, or do i have to sweat it again."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
168964.gif

you need to lower it untill the shoe is off the splined shaft, rotate with needle nose pliers,reinstall."

"very cool i'll do that to

"very cool i'll do that tomorrow when i get home. thank you for your help. ive read other posts on here and saw that you have helped in almost everyone thanks you seem to have all your ducks in a row. i'll keep you posted if that works. wich i'm sure it will comming from you. happy boating
happy.gif
"

"We had trouble getting the lo

"We had trouble getting the lower unit back on a few times... even though we'd put it into forward.

We ended up using vice gribs isntead of needle nose pliers to turn the shift shaft. Actually the last time we put the lower unit back on was the hardest, it kept getting stuck about 1/4" apart.. it had something to do with the shift shoe... finally dad pushed down a bit on the back of the unit and suddenly it locked into place - after we'd been struggling with it for like an hour! I frantically tightened the nuts after it went all the way up!

Pretty much every time we took the lower unit off, it was at least a little difficult to get back on."

Back