Logo

4cyl 140 hp head for pleasurecraft mitzubishi engine

wfd555

"Looking for a head for a 4cyl

"Looking for a head for a 4cyl 140 hp Pleasurecraft(Mitzubishi) engine, Also, can I tell the year of the engine from the VIN?"

Look for a standard 2.6 mitsub

Look for a standard 2.6 mitsubishi head. No jet valves. Reuse your old camshaft. I just replaced mine. Did yours go bad due to exhaust chewing it up on cylinder number 4?

It appears to be exactly that!

It appears to be exactly that! This must be a common problem by the sounds of it. Is it possible to buy the exhaust manifold gaskets at a local parts store? Can anyone tell me what the torque spec is for the exhaust manifold bolts?

"I followed the exhaust manifo

"I followed the exhaust manifold torgue from that of a mitsubishi mighty max, montero model. I rechecked them after a couple of hours of run time, while hot. Any problems with distributor getting moisture in? Be carful of exhaust manifold studs, they strip out very easily in the head. Even a new one! I ended up putting heli coils in them right from the start."

"Joe,
Thanks for the torque i

"Joe,
Thanks for the torque info. And yes, I do have two bolts stripped out. I had already planned on using the heli coil to repair them. Do to the easy access to my engine, I just had a mechanic tell me to try "Marine-Tex Grey" to repair the Gasket surface area on the head. He said he has used it before on aluminum heads with good success. I think I will try that first, do to easy access, and if that fails I will then remove the head. I have nothing to loose I guess. You seem to be familiar w/this issue, Your thoughts?"

"Funny! I did the same thing

"Funny! I did the same thing with the marine tex, it lasted about a year. However the exhaust manifold and head , both were chewed up from the exhaust. What is your engine in? Mine is in the irvette/pcm in the picture."

"I have recently purchased thi

"I have recently purchased this boat and my engines are in a 1974 25' CC tournament fisherman that has been very well kept. I have twin inboard 140 hp engines. They are not the original engines. However, they do run very well, just this problem on the one engine. The other engine was rebuilt a short time ago and seems to be fine at this point. I did notice that looking into the #4 exhaust port of the head that the opening is not round like the others. I beleave that this condition allows the exhaust to be somewhat blocked by the gasket, which has a smaller opening than the port on the head. Thus causing the deterioration of the area. Hence a defect in the engineering of the manifold, which is designed by Pleasurecraft. You probably dont see this condition with the street version which uses a vehicle manifold. Just a guess on my part!"

"I can tell you that these eng

"I can tell you that these engines are efficient. Mine seems to make gas! However , parts are becoming difficult to obtain. Don't forget, port 4 or cylinder 4 is on the downwards side of the engine, I personally believe water or water vapor is the culprit for damaging the exhaust port. This is my second head, and both had same condition once removing after use. Good luck
Joe"

"Joe,
Did you find the head t

"Joe,
Did you find the head the same as the Mitsubishi Mighty Max, without the jet valves? If so, Autozone parts store sells a remanufactured head, complete! w/warranty.... go to autozone.com and enter part # "CHR4018" in the search window. Though I have not visualy compared heads myself at this point!"

"I purchased mine from tristat

"I purchased mine from tristatecylinderhead.com. Brand new, but, he'll rip you off on a core. The ad says no core charge, but yet he charged me a core charge of 50.00. I disputed it through capital one, and was credited. 300.00 is the ad price. Autozone is 475 with a core charge. I couldn't see the picture of it at autozone. It should be a standard 2.6 litre mitsubishi head, no jet valves.
http://www.tristatecylinderhead.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=62"

"Joe
Thanks a bunch for the i

"Joe
Thanks a bunch for the info, you've been a great help to me! Just ordered it, on sale for 210.00 + SH, no core charge = $238.20. Where did you get the head gasket, intake & exhaust gaskets and valve cover gaskets, torque specs from? Was there a particular vehicle you could reference? This particular head is actually used for fork lifts, but I've been told it was actually used in a truck also."

"Yes this engine was used in f

"Yes this engine was used in forklifts. Remember that this is a 4G54 and not a G54 or G54b, the latter being common engines.http://inetmarine.com/
You can get the head gasket,(takes awhile) they do have some other parts, like the head for over 2000.00 dollars! I found that if you find a local pcm dealer, they can get it faster. Drop me a line when your ready for install, I'll give you some torgue specs. The mitsubishi D-50 and Mighty max or as close as you will get to it. Be careful with tri state, they claim no core charge but he charged me anyway. It would cost more to ship the core back."

"Joe,
Got the 4G54 head in to

"Joe,
Got the 4G54 head in today from Tri-State, no problems and no core charge added on. You mentioned last week you could get me the torque specs I might need to do this job, Is that still possible? Did you use a repair manual for the Mitsubishi Mighty Max as a step by step guide to do this job?"

Back